Keeping spool (with SMB attached) from unwinding underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More than once I have used the line for making sure I get back to the anchor line in low viz conditions. So I just just use a real reel and attach the DSMB when needed. Gives me a dangle but who cares.

My solution is simple and doesn't need a mumbling video.

My spool is constantly attached (but it's easy to quickly disattach under water if I desperately want an addition reel.

You can see it here, hanging under my dsmb while it dries

upload_2018-9-24_16-4-56.png

The reel has a loop of bungee around it (the loose loop in the pic wraps around the dsmb when it's rolled)

upload_2018-9-24_16-6-29.png

You'll note, the bungee is attached to the dsmb, so when I remove the reel there's no chance of entanglement.

upload_2018-9-24_16-7-50.png

I did put a loop in the bungee to give me a grip, but it's not needed. You simply pull the reel away from the dsmb, twist it and the bungee is off. Having unfurled the dsmb a quick twist of the valve on the crack bottle and its off.

upload_2018-9-24_16-10-14.png

I stow the dsmb in a waist pocket because it's bulky. the reel clips to the outside with the double ender. Since I've moved to this method it's never come off (8' giant strides or on a scooter or in big currents)

The way I ended up rigging mine has survived many boat entries on Lakes Michigan and Huron.

The way I ended up rigging mine has survived many boat entries on Lakes Michigan and Huron.
It might - just possibly - be useful for the readers of this thread who haven't found their preferred way to rig their dSMB if you'd care to share your way of rigging it. After all, quite few other participants in this thread have taken the work to share their way of rigging their dSMB. With pictures.

D33D8095-B09E-47A8-845A-356F7754608B.jpeg
I thought there was a picture earlier in the thread. Reposting it.m

There aren't many thing that I think I've truly figured out with this sport, but tying off my DSMB is one of them, not my idea, but worth sharing IMHO...
The only down side is you need a double-ender, in addition to this set up.

Attachments

• 20180924_175342.jpg
    20180924_175342.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 20180924_175355.jpg
    20180924_175355.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 20180924_175412.jpg
    20180924_175412.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 20180924_175453.jpg
    20180924_175453.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 255
This thread is relevant to me. I had a couple SMB fails during my OW course: 1. Crappy knot...inflated the SMB and it shot to the surface..minus line. 2. Apparently did not clip the SMB off properly. Figured this out when I reached down to make sure that the reel was where I clipped it off. It was not. I was able to trace back the bright orange line ~50' back and find my reel though.:popcorn:

I'm leaning towards just getting a spare mask pouch (ex. Hollis) to keep this and a spare mask in.

First of all, get a new spool. It's SO much easier to deploy if you can stick one finger through the spool as it unwinds.
It’s actually not.

I’ve heard of guys getting their fingers stuck in when they let go and it can really hurt and damage your hands. Those spools that don’t let your finger in are apparently ideal from what I’ve heard among experienced technical divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom