Keeping spool (with SMB attached) from unwinding underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve done 120 dives or so with his method and my DSMB stored on d-ring. It’s solid. No unraveling.
This is at least the third time this video has been offered in this hread. It is a good 2 minute video. Unfortunately, it is 10 mins long. :(

This is at least the third time this video has been offered in this hread. It is a good 2 minute video. Unfortunately, it is 10 mins long. :(

You can speed it up and watch it at 1.5x speed OR you can remake the video to be the length you prefer.

Everyone's a critic., SMH.

-Z

Deleted.

Last edited:
Bingo! This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Just rigged it up. Did use a loop of bungee to hold the spool to the SMB so it doesn't dangle as much.

Marie13, looks good, I doubt that bungee will keep the spool with the bag, best to just let it dangle so you're not having to untangle it. Also, in the future, if you want to lose some of the bulk with that shackle, DGE, and I assume other retailers, sell a shackle snap. I'd put a little loctite or nail polish on the threads to prevent it from unscrewing.

Dive Rite S/S Swivel-Eye {3.75 in | 9.5 cm} Shackle Snap

Capture.PNG

Bingo! This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Just rigged it up. Did use a loop of bungee to hold the spool to the SMB so it doesn't dangle as much.

no, the bungee on my dsmb isn't quite big enough to get around the spool as well. I haven't been worried any flopping about, but I'm also used to 3-4 spools hanging out on one d-ring for cave diving so it's possible I just didn't notice.

in addition to what @CuzzA showed with the shackle, you can tie that bolt snap on with cave line which is perfectly fine as well. Personal preference there

You can speed it up and watch it at 1.5x speed OR you can remake the video to be the length you prefer.

Everyone's a critic., SMH.

-Z
LOL. I don't have a button to make him not mumble, and I don't have a button to make him stop repeating things. But I do have a button to make him go away.

4 giant strides into Lake Michigan yesterday and my spool did not unwind once! Success! The spool did come out of the bungee holding it together with SMB on first entry, but that was it. I just left it.

The spool did come out of the bungee holding it together with SMB on first entry
That's why I've quit trying to wrap the bungee around the spool, but prefer to wrap it around the double-ender instead. The bungee slips off the spool a mite to easily for my taste. As a bonus, the double-ender lies flush with the sausage instead if sticking out like a stiff... finger.

I am also trying to get the better setup for my spool + DSMB and I found these sources of info (apart from the usual video by the British guy already posted 3 times here)

Finger Spool Setup
planning to get first SMB/spool setup - some advice please

Anyway the British guy's video seems to be the most popular. In the first "Finger spool setup" thread I linked they suggest to add a ball and use it as a grip/handle when diving with gloves, instead of making an additional small loop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom