planning to get first SMB/spool setup - some advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to get an SMB and I need some advice. I've never used one (though I absolutely intend to learn how to use it before I have to use it) so I have no way of making pros/cons for different materials for the finger spool or line or the height of the smb itself. I've noticed that there are some kits sold which include the smb, spool, double-ender and a storage pouch (this one, for example, would mount conveniently Signal Tubes - Safety Devices - Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems) or I could also very easily build my own kit, but then I have to figure out how tall of an smb to get, what material for the spool, hi-viz or not line, how long of a line, etc...

I don't know where to start and it seems the only comparisons I can make now are based on price, which doesn't really help me. Please help steer me in the right direction. FWIW, my bc is a Zeagle Stiletto and pocket space is limited. I also do not currently have pockets on any of my suits, hence why I like how the Zeagle kit mounts, out of the way without dangling but within reach.

You did not say what you would be using it for. I am assuming not for drifting deco, but for ocean based emergency signal use. In that case, bigger is usually better. Do not buy based on price. I use the 10 foot XS-Scuba Highland day glow orange colored SMB. It included a pouch which I have mounted to the bottom of my backplate. Im not sure how it would mount on your Zeagle. If you are using it in the ocean I do not recommend anything shorter than 7 feet. I have also heard good things about the DAN SMB. For a bigger bag like this its usually a good idea to get one that can inflate from the bottom (i know, they get water in them but filling a big bag manually can be tough!) that having been said I find that most divers other than myself strangely prefer the manual inflator. Just be certain it has a vent on the bag. After trial and error I have decided that I prefer a medium size stainless steel thumb spool. The plastic ones tend to stick to my glove when I deploy them. The stainless steel reels seem to spin more smoothly against my glove. Im sure there are cons (other than price) to the stainless steel reels, but so far I have enjoyed mine.

Bear in mind that if there is a breeze on the surface, a bigger bag tends to pull you along under water. I have noticed a huge difference in this effect moving from the 7 foot to the 10 foot bag.

One other thing - Practice shooting the bag! This is a VERY important skill to master. You should be able to deploy any lift bag at depth or even somewhat shallow while maintaining your position in the water column. Deploying an SMB can be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS if done improperly, so get someone experienced to help you out since you stated that you havent learned this skill. As another poster noted, with any size lift bag if deployed improperly can get away from you, yank you to the surface, or even worse, yank you to the surface by your regulator's 2nd stage or some other part of your gear. Good luck.
fingerspool.jpg

Attachments

• hl202.jpg
    hl202.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,972
Last edited:
I would recommend something you can fill with a breath from your lungs. Much more and it can tow you to the surface. Unless shot from 100+ feet I can not imagine trying to get enough air into a 7ft smb let alone a 10 footer. I use a small Halcyon that is just over a meter. Easy to store and launch from a shallower depth. Also a smaller SMB will stand upright at the surface vs a larger one that takes a lot of downward force to get to stand up.

Cold water diving means a spool with a larger center is nice to have. The delrin ones are often to small to get a gloved finger inside even a little and can hinder deployment or cause a dropped spool. Learn to tie a large loop in the end so the spool can easily pass thru the loop. Then I like to put a small loop at the very end which is what I clip my double ender off to when not in use. Keeps it from unraveling. I have a stainless spool, but they have their issues since they are negative, and if dropped are going to quickly to the bottom. The positive side of stainless is they have a smaller footprint in a pocket. Also make sure to pull off about 20 feet of line or so, until you can clip a double ender thru one of the holes in the spool. Length is dictated by the depth you might need to launch from. My spool is only a 100 ft with about 80ft of line or so.

Color of line is up to you. Piranha dive has pink! I would get a bright color if available, and probably yellow.

Some questions to ask-
Warm or cold water (gloves?)! Will affect hole size
Open ocean? Will affect overall size
Use? Will affect line length and Delrin Vs metal
DIR? Will tell you which one to get.
redundant bouyancy? Will affect size/lift/shape

If you are unsure of the answers and are willing to adapt to the use (buy more later), here are some general use tips/suggestions;

If not caving, hi-vis line is fine.
100ft is a good start, allows deco at common 70ft level, size is manageable.
stainless over brass double ender
many YouTube vids for proper deployment and use (search UTD/DIR/GUE)
anti-fouling if possible ( this is easy do it yourself with parts from Canadian tire)
If deploying deep, needs OPV
How will you fill? Affects open vs closed bottom, oral fill or hose fill or combination.
a deployment pouch.....no thank you if your DIR.

Thats a start!

I am still not clear on why you want it. It can make a big difference.

If you are thinking it as solely a safety device for the surface, as in "Oh crap, I'm separated from the boat. Hope this thing helps them find me," then the ease of inflating it under water is not an issue. You can get one big enough to get picked up by Google Earth and inflate it leisurely on the surface. You don't need a spool in that case, either.

If you are looking to send something up so that people know where you are when you are still under water, then that is a different matter. In that case, something that is too big will make inflating it well enough to stand up and be seen a real problem.

As others have said, the usage needs to be determined:

1) Surface signalling only ('safety sausage', no reel/spool needed)

2) Deploy on/for safety stop (small capacity, oral inflate DSMB with small finger spool)

3) Ascent line from depth (intermediate capacity, semi-closed/oral inflate, with large finger spool or small reel)

4) Technical diving / Deco Ascent Line (large capacity DSMB/lift bag, with large capacity reel)

You're overthinking this. SMB/Spool is not a big or strategic decision. Get something that's visible in the conditions you plan to dive, with enough line to reach the surface from the depths you'll be diving to.
I had a feeling I was over thinking this but when you're not sure exactly what's what, it seems like a lot of options.

As others have said, the usage needs to be determined:

1) Surface signalling only ('safety sausage', no reel/spool needed)

2) Deploy on/for safety stop (small capacity, oral inflate DSMB with small finger spool)

3) Ascent line from depth (intermediate capacity, semi-closed/oral inflate, with large finger spool or small reel)

4) Technical diving / Deco Ascent Line (large capacity DSMB/lift bag, with large capacity reel)

I'm going to say most likely uses are 1 and 2, though I think I'd like the option for 3. Technical diving is not in my immediate, foreseeable future, so not 4.

I'm going to say most likely uses are 1 and 2, though I think I'd like the option for 3. Technical diving is not in my immediate, foreseeable future, so not 4.

In which case, the best all-round option (IMHO) would be something like:

1) Halcyon 1m (3.3ft) DAM (DSMB) with oral-inflate and OPV. If you anticipated diving in rough water (high waves) you might opt for a larger capacity/length bag - the 1.4m (4.5ft) version ('Big CC DAM'). If the waves were any bigger than that - you probably wouldn't be diving anyway...

images
images

You don't need to buy Halcyon (expensive - but well manufactured) as there are plenty of near-identical copies on the market from other manufacturers. Budget versus quality is a personal decision.

2) A 45m/150' Finger Spool with SS double-end clip. You don't need to spend a fortune on this. 45m/150' is sufficient for deployment from the bottom on most recreational dives (accounting for some lateral drift in current etc). A smaller 30m/100' would be sufficient if you never anticipated deploying the DSMB from maximum bottom depth.
140.jpg

Deployed as such...

In which case, the best all-round option (IMHO) would be something like:

1) Halcyon 1m (3.3ft) DAM (DSMB) with oral-inflate and OPV.
You don't need to buy Halcyon (expensive - but well manufactured) as there are plenty of near-identical copies on the market from other manufacturers. Budget versus quality is a personal decision.

2) A 45m/150' Finger Spool with SS double-end clip. You don't need to spend a fortune on this. 45m/150' is sufficient for deployment from the bottom on most recreational dives

Thanks for these recommendations! I think that is exactly what I (not the OP) want.

Two more questions, if I may:

1) What is OPV? I would think that I want the oral inflate option and also to be able to inflate it from my reg or secondary.

2) Where can I get these more cheaply than Halcyon's list price? (About $100). I checked LeisurePro (nothing), are there other buying options?

P.S. My wife is Filipino, we look forward to diving there one day.

Thanks,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom