Key West Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What Jandee said (mostly). But about theDuane. I did two dives on it yesterday. What a great little boat. Lots of swim throughs and not too large to cover in a couple dives. I went to the sand and it was 122 feet just off hand. Also, if you dive off of Largo or Tavernier be sure to dive the Speigle Grove. A much larger boat and about the same depth.Did two dives on it Monday.

i dove a couple dives w/ southpoint divers, boat is pretty nice and spacious. went back in hurricane season so there weren't many people down there and it was nice. many of the operations go to some of the same places along the reef.

I've been diving with LOST REEF ADVENTURES when in Key West for the last few years. My last trip to Key West, they even went over & above to get folks together to take the boat out for my wife & I because we were returning customers on what happened to be a slow day. We've always had good luck (and good dives) with them. I'll agree with the previous poster that the diving around Key West isn't the best that the Florida Keys has to offer. On the other hand, we've been taken to some pretty good sites around the area that offerred a nice variety of corals, sponges, fish, rays and even the occasional turtle.

It's been good enough that if we're in Key West for the week, we'll do the majority of our dives there as opposed to commuting back up the Keys for some of the other stuff.

One of the nice things about Lost Reef also is their proximity to some great post-dive watering holes for a burger & a beverage. Enjoy your trip!

I have used Sub Tropic. .

I've used SubTropic before and had no complaints about them.

however, since then, they busted the keel on their big boat and I don't think they've replaced it yet. So they are running just one boat now and on their smaller boat and it's a little more crowded. So might be worth looking at using one of the other shops.

I agree with the others though that the dive sites elsewhere in the keys are better than in Key West.

I second the rec. to go to Key Largo instead. MUCH better diving. In Largo, I'd recommend Quiescence. Small boats- 6 divers per boat max. Very safety conscious.

I had some great dives with Quiescence, but the last time I was on their boat I just really got tired of the owners "god" attidude. I wouldn't use them again.

there are better choices in Key Largo where you don't have to listen to someone feed their ego.

Thanks. In Key Largo, Try and stay at Marina Del Mar. Great place and location. Clean and comfortable. And they cater to divers.

We went to Key West last Christmas just because we had never been there and wanted to dive for a couple of days mid week. The dive operations take turns going out if there only a few divers in town so I didn't have a choice who I went with. The diving is not great, very shallow, cloudy, flat sand bottom, teeny tiny coral but I don't regret going. It's fun experiencing different places. There was a lot of stuff to do after diving, nightlife, history, shopping, and eating. This year I'm going back to Key Largo the week before Christmas and will dive with Ocean Divers. They will take a boat out when 2 divers sign up. I've never been there during the summer but imagine those boats can be real tight, but in winter there are no crowds, just a few divers on the boat. There are a few great wreck, the Duane is my favorite. The reef is OK, nothing like the Carib, but well worth the trip. Hotels are pretty cheap at this time of the year, and easly to get to. Little over an hour from Miami. Besides Key Largo is a nice place to go for a couple of days to escape the cold Wisconsin winters.

I hate to be a sour-puss, but...

Don't waste your time with Key West. The diving is not very good. Key Largo is 100 times better and less expensive.

I've had very bad experiences with almost every dive op in Key West. Stuff like signing up for a wreck dive, but once underway the captain announces that he is turning the trip into a snorkel trip -- oh, yeah and no refunds or credit for future SCUBA trips.

Just say "NO" to Key West.
Wow, that will ruin your trip fast. Who was the operator?
You're correct about the vast difference in diving quality and the bottom topography.
There's a reason they call Key Largo the "Dive Capital of the World". Come visit us.

I haven't dove Key West in seven years, but the best operator I saw down there was the Key West Diving Society just over the bridge on (I think) Bahia Hondo Key. I don't even know if they're still there, but if they are, I was happy with them.

I gotta agree with other posters who mention Largo. The reef is a lot bigger, and the water seemed to be clearer. However, THAT information is from 1971 when I was uncertified and made a couple of "renegade" dives. That's another story...

I taught diving in Key West, Key Largo and Islamorada and agree that Key Largo was the best.
I worked for Horizon and Ocean Divers and I think you will have a good time down there.
I did do some nice tech diving in Key West that was much better than I thought it would be.

I've dived up and down the keys, and do like Key Largo best, but Dive Key West is a good op.

Go mid week. Cowboy Bill's Honky Tonk is fun on Wednesday nights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom