Kicking Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This may seem like a silly question but I have to ask. We just finished a 12 day diving trip and finally watched the videos (if I knew how to convert the dvd's, I would post a clip)

I have done a lot of snorkle/skin diving. I used a pair of solid free frog fins for a good 12 - 15 years. They served me well. When we went on this trip we bought all new gear and I got a new pair of split fins.

While watching the videos, I realized my kicking style was different. While using the split fin, I bent my knee much more while kicking. With my free frogs, my leg was much straighter.

Should there be a difference or was I potentially over compensating for the less resistance of the split fin?

Greetings SolarStorm and aren't videos incredible. I have loved and hated the tell tale film when it comes to real time evaluation of techniques. In a perfect world we would attain proper fin techniques but you and I both know that is not the case.
The split fins will perform as described while flutter kicking. The shorter bent knee kick is actually the way I was instructed to use them. I have several pairs of Twin Jets that I can do either flutter or frog kick with.
The blade fins are as you said easier to frog kick with there for a straighter profile.
I have almost converted to blade fins totally in the last year and I have found it easier to employ non-silting techniques due to the straighter profile. Diving doubles has a lot to do with it as well. It takes more thrust to move that mass, I have tried the splits and it is like a hamster on a wheel. Tough on gas and humorous on film.
Mastering techniques will not only increase your gas consumption but make your dives more enjoyable. I have found video to be a big help in that quest.
The difference that you observed is normal due to the design of the fin and kicking style. Both fins will serve you well.
I do wonder what fin you liked best for what kick style. I liked the spilt's for singles and diving in the currents or drift diving using either flutter or frog kicks.
For doubles it was blades and frog kicks almost always.
Have fun diving and I am interested to hear your thoughts.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

At first it felt as if I had nothing to push against until I started bending from the knee more. I find a frog kick easier with the split fins, but am still undecided with a straight swim. I believe I will try the singles the next time I expect a stronger current. I am still undecided, but now that I have seen the difference I am going to start paying more attention to what works best when.

SolarStorm,
I too noticed a huge difference when I first switched to split fins from "regular" fins. It does sometimes feel like you have nothing on your foot, which took some getting used to. It's funny how with less resistance, it's easier to let your knees bend. I find that I vary my kick style depending on what I'm doing. If I'm just lazily swimming along a reef looking for tiny critters, I will often bend my knees and kick more from the ankle. Keeps my fins up and off the reef without me having to really think about it. If I'm trying to get somewhere in a quick time, then nice straight leg flutter kick will get you moving quick. I'll also mix in a frog kick, especially when I'm leading a group and get someone trying to swim up my backside. This is more to try to not kick their mask off. I'll also switch between flutter and frog to change the muscles I'm using.

So, out of that, I guess the bottom line is, play around with it, and see what works for you.

Enjoy, and dive safe!

Mike

Thanks guys, was just curious if this was normal or it was just my uncooridation showing up.

I second everything MikeMarlow posted. I do find I use the frog kick much less now than I used to with Blades. My wife however uses Apollo splits (I use TwinJets) and frog kicks almost exclusively. The splits are definitely easier on a bum knee however.

The frog kick will work with split fins but not as efficiently as with solid fins. If you have split fins and want to kick very lightly? Just flick your ankle vertically - a super light flutter kick.

Although I do not use split fins myself, I can report that it is a common understanding that kicking with them should be more of a knee down action than a full leg action. What you are doing is therefore not only common, it is frequently recommended.

The split fin has proven completely inefficient in all areas of diving where there is current.

Of course it is easier to kick... that is because it doesn't move any water... the water just flows through it. It provides completely inefficient thrust vs. a paddle fin.

I suppose if you want to have to kick three kick cucles to move the same distance as a paddle fin would move you with one kick cycle, then the split fin makes sense.

Split fins were brought into the sport as a gimmick and for a way to charge unsuspecting divers more money with "new technology."

Explain why all split fins cost more than a paddle fin? You can not give a logical common sense answer. The materials are the same - only there is less of it in a split fin... which means they should cost less.

Now anyone in manufacturing knows that most of the initial cost of developing something new like this goes into design and building the production molds. Molds can cost a couple hundred thousand dollars... so most new products come out at a high price and then over time their price begins to go down... so why do these split fin manufacturers (after multiple years of production) still charge insane prices for them? Either price goes down - or a company discontinues a product to replace it with something new they can charge you a lot of money for.

My very good friends at the oldest currently active dive manufacturing company in the world refuse to produce a split fin. Why? Because they are no good. And they will not produce inferior products for the sake of making a profit off unsuspecting consumers.

I applaud this business approach... and so should you... Cressi - Since 1946.

When you want a fin that does what it's suppose to do...

Cressi Master Frog
Cressi Frog
Cressi Frog Plus
Cressi Reaction
Cressi Palau
Cressi Gara
... and many more...

Cheers to good fins... now leave those crappy splits at home

Last edited:
The split fin has proven completely inefficient in all areas of diving where there is current.

Of course it is easier to kick... that is because it doesn't move any water... the water just flows through it. It provides completely inefficient thrust vs. a paddle fin.

I suppose if you want to have to kick three kick cucles to move the same distance as a paddle fin would move you with one kick cycle, then the split fin makes sense.

Split fins were brought into the sport as a gimmick and for a way to charge unsuspecting divers more money with "new technology."

Explain why all split fins cost more than a paddle fin? You can not give a logical common sense answer. The materials are the same - only there is less of it in a split fin... which means they should cost less.

Now anyone in manufacturing knows that most of the initial cost of developing something new like this goes into design and building the production molds. Molds can cost a couple hundred thousand dollars... so most new products come out at a high price and then over time their price begins to go down... so why do these split fin manufacturers (after multiple years of production) still charge insane prices for them? Either price goes down - or a company discontinues a product to replace it with something new they can charge you a lot of money for.

My very good friends at the oldest currently active dive manufacturing company in the world refuse to produce a split fin. Why? Because they are no good. And they will not produce inferior products for the sake of making a profit off unsuspecting consumers.

I applaud this business approach... and so should you... Cressi - Since 1946.

When you want a fin that does what it's suppose to do...

Cressi Master Frog
Cressi Frog
Cressi Frog Plus
Cressi Reaction
Cressi Palau
Cressi Gara
... and many more...

Cheers to good fins... now leave those crappy splits at home

Hydrodynamics isn't for everybody. Some of us prefer to work like a mule underwater.

Back
Top Bottom