Knee Replacement :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HEY FISH CITY! Sorry I am so late to respond but I was in Cayman diving... and leaving next week for Cozumel for a little more. Retirement has been good to me. I wanted to comment about wetsuit.... I also prefer head to toe coverage; any infection can be a serious problem for a KR. I cut my toe requiring 7 stitches earlier in the summer and was immediately placed on high dose of antibiotics. I don't want that during a dive trip! I only do warm water diving and always wear a 3/2 full suit. Since we did Cayman this year mid August, I opted for a 1.5 micropene suit I bought from Scuba.com. It was more than a "skin" and less than a wetsuit and was wonderful. Just enough protection and warmth that 14 days of diving and no chills or scraps. (I tend to get cold after the first 5-6 days and start layering) I think I was the only one in our group in a full "suit" but I was comfortable and that is most important. I believe that after TKR one needs to feel comfortable and protected. Listen to your needs. As far as "covering the scar" I was in my full 3/2 wetsuit and diving 4 months after my TKR. The biggest challenge was in my head for the giant stride.... that was a little scary. My biggest problem is still standing for too long.... in the kitchen, in the airport, in the store... standing is not my strong suit. Good luck on your trip and your shopping.

Thanks, Frannie!

Wetsuit woes?! Anybody--HELP!

I just got my new wetsuit in the mail. It is a Henderson 3mm Thermoprene Front Zip Womens Wetsuit size 12. That is the same size as the 3 mm Henderson shorty I am used to wearing. Well, it zips up but the arms and LEGS are really, really tight. (I have thick, muscular legs.) The whole things seems a bit longish--I had to tug to get the legs up so the crotch was in place and to try to get the knee protector areas up on my knee. The knee protector area seems not as high up on the leg as I had hoped, not going much over the top of the bent knee. The legs are very, very tight. So are the arms and they are longish, too. (I am about 5-6.) So is the body. There is a bit of "creased" material at the knees. The collar part is annoyingly high.

I can move about and breathe, etc. but the body also has some surplus length, I think.

What I am wondering is, should I get a bigger suit in order to get roomier legs? Or would they not be roomier? Would a larger size just make the length issue worse, trying to pull the legs up to get the knee protectors in place? It is hard to get on and off, which I was prepared for, sort of, but once off, my surgical knee was a little sore.

I had read that it is easier to get a wetsuit on and off with a lycra skin underneath (I have one) but I am not sure I can get the legs on with a skin underneath. Have not tried that; thought I'd check with you all first.

Feedback? Please?!?

Thanks in advance. You all have been great.

Thanks, Frannie!

Wetsuit woes?! Anybody--HELP!

I just got my new wetsuit in the mail. It is a Henderson 3mm Thermoprene Front Zip Womens Wetsuit size 12. That is the same size as the 3 mm Henderson shorty I am used to wearing. Well, it zips up but the arms and LEGS are really, really tight. (I have thick, muscular legs.) The whole things seems a bit longish--I had to tug to get the legs up so the crotch was in place and to try to get the knee protector areas up on my knee. The knee protector area seems not as high up on the leg as I had hoped, not going much over the top of the bent knee. The legs are very, very tight. So are the arms and they are longish, too. (I am about 5-6.) So is the body. There is a bit of "creased" material at the knees. The collar part is annoyingly high.

I can move about and breathe, etc. but the body also has some surplus length, I think.

What I am wondering is, should I get a bigger suit in order to get roomier legs? Or would they not be roomier? Would a larger size just make the length issue worse, trying to pull the legs up to get the knee protectors in place? It is hard to get on and off, which I was prepared for, sort of, but once off, my surgical knee was a little sore.

I had read that it is easier to get a wetsuit on and off with a lycra skin underneath (I have one) but I am not sure I can get the legs on with a skin underneath. Have not tried that; thought I'd check with you all first.

Feedback? Please?!?

Thanks in advance. You all have been great.

You could do what some have here, and get it modified to suit your body.

Seems that 75% of the population dont meet the "ideal" size chart, now isn't that amazing!

So my suggestion is find a good wet suit repairer and they can alter them to suit you and make it snug but not chokingly tight or floppy loose. Nathan did and his wetsuit fits much better now. Before he couldnt get his arms and legs in as they are thicker than the "ideal" size chart compared to his body.

I used to fit a L perfectly but now with much of things being made in China, I find that I too cannot even get my hands.let alone arms in a 3 mm wetsuit now. Nothing seems standard anymore, looks like there are many standard sizes, just depends on where they are made. Looks like local sizing dictates what you get in the final cut.

Aloha, everyone! I just got back from my first snorkeling trip with the new knee--Big Island of Hawaii. The knee was great. It took a little getting used to the new kick--with a straight, not knock-kneed leg--but it was just great.

I wore my lycra skin and a 3 mm Farmer Jane suit I got, a size bigger than the wetsuit. The legs were OK but I learned NOT to take the legs off if I wanted to go back in the water, it is a bummer to wrestle the legs back on wet. The Farmer Jane was a good thing, as I learned--I got cocky coming in over a lava bubble in a familiar shallow spot and touched down; got a very small divot in the chest part. Eeek. Glad I had it on and it was not my legs :) I have another thread on what to do about the ding in my neoprene and am still figuring that out.

I got a bloody toe rub from the fin, even thru my neoprene socks. I need to double sock or something to prevent that (don't want to get an infection). Any suggestions? I used bandaids on my knobby toe joint but that seems inelegant, lol.

My second (left) knee replacement is scheduled for mid-March.

Thank you SO MUCH for the support and advice!!!!

Hi, I'm back. I hope you are doing OK, LargeDiver!

I am 1 week post surgery on knee #1 (surgery was Tues, Jan 24)....surgery included removing some screws from my prior ACL reconstruction surgery. Recovery is going well so far = 105 degrees of flexion and within 4 degrees of being able to get to completely flat on a flat surface. I am walking around the house without any crutches; 1 crutch if doing more strenuous walking (exercise) or of leaving the house. Slowly starting to wean down the Oxy. A little TMI, but one of the more challenging things has been the opiod constipation :-(. Lots of laxatives and prune juice.....

Being younger (52) and relatively active before the surgery has certainly helped with my recovery results thus far.

The recovery is just so much different vs. the ACL surgery I had 30 years ago on the same knee - what a difference.

BTW, I've said this before but I'll say it again - this thread is so helpful and encouraging, whether reading before or after surgery :)

Chris

Last edited:
My knee rework is done. Back to diving 6 weeks later 145 degree flex. A little limiting compared to the original replacement but all good

Hey, LargeDiver and Peter! Glad to hear your surgeries are done and recovery is going well.
LargeDiver, just a reminder :) to keep ice and elevation going as directed by your team. Makes a huge difference in swelling and hence, bending. I know what you mean about opioids. :(
Peter, so glad you are back diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom