Knee Replacement :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear that everyone is doing good. A patient's recovery and rehabilitation plan are very crucial to the overall success of knee replacement surgery. Many people have doubts regarding what to expect and the recovery process after knee replacement surgery. Knee exercises are still important to prevent complications and build strength, as well as improve the motion of your knee. There are many recovery tips to be followed after the surgery, which can help with faster recovery. Just take a look at this- Recovery Tips: Total Knee Replacement, PhysioNow Mississauga. Hope these tips will help you enjoy your new knee while you safely resume your daily activities.

Hello, everyone! Once more, I have benefited from the positivity and encouragement you all have given me in this thread. I had my second surgery (L TKR) on March 20th, for a matching pair of titanium knees.

Everyone in the hospital said "every knee is different, don't compare it with the other one" and they are right. I try not to compare, but I do...I feel this left one is running 7-10 days behind where the right one was last year (I got over 120 quickly and kept 120). The left knee remains more swollen and my ROM is not as far along. I did get to 120, but cold it tends to 115 and warmed up around 118. I did not go to inpatient rehab this time, the home PT was more gentle, I am not taking Celebrex this time...I continue to stew and fret over "milestones." I do not want to lose the chance for 120. I do have 0 extension, yay!

My surgeon was pleased at the 6 week visit. The prostheses are designed for 120 and he does not want anyone to try to force it past that ("like taking a crowbar and trying to pry off the prosthsis"). So I will try to be more patient and do all I can each day. Although I am tempted to ask my cardiologist how bad it would really be to go back on Celebrex for a coupla weeks to get the swelling down... (Stopped Celebrex in February because I started a BP med that has interactions. Yowza! That stuff really worked well on the left knee and I sure did notice its absence as a painkiller and anti-inflammatory during the month before surgery.)

It really does not hurt except for stiffness and I am off all my pain meds, including Tylenol. My ankle and foot are getting used to the new alignment, with some complaining...I had a very severe valgus deformity, pigeon toes.

We have 2 adventuresome snorkel trips planned, Wakatobi in September and Kokomo (Fiji) in October. A bit worried about infections on those but will be careful...have my new Farmer Jane that I used in Hawaii this January.

Hope you all are doing well!

Glad to hear it is giong that well with you!

That is awesome - glad to hear you are bouncing back well! Every positive story is encouraging to everyone else going through the process or considering it.

Funny enough, I had my second knee done on the same day. I did things a little differently, as I did the first one in January and the second one 8 weeks later. I started swimming laps about 2 weeks ago...really gives me hope to be back diving locally this summer.

Had my first air travel for business earlier this week since the surgeries....experienced the newfound joy of setting off the TSA scanners each time :)

Had my first air travel for business earlier this week since the surgeries....experienced the newfound joy of setting off the TSA scanners each time
I always use the scanners you stand in with your hands over your head whenever possible. I learned when going through metal detectors to point at my knee before I go through, which gets them ready.

First dives this weekend after my knee replacements. Local New England diving (drysuit). Generally happy with how things went :). Great to be back in the water. Water temps 46-48F.

Folly%20-%20June%202017%201189-XL.jpg

Ironic, for me, that you posted today of all days... I finally scheduled my TKR! A little disappointed to find out it needed to be three months from the last steroid injection, so it's still two months out, but I am looking forward to getting it done finally! Congratulations on getting back in the water.

Ironic, for me, that you posted today of all days... I finally scheduled my TKR! A little disappointed to find out it needed to be three months from the last steroid injection, so it's still two months out, but I am looking forward to getting it done finally! Congratulations on getting back in the water.

Congrats and thanks. It took me a long time to finally admit I needed to have it done. A couple of weeks ago my wife pointed to a guy limping along in front of us with a horrible gait and said, "that's how you used to look".

As I walked down the pier to the dive boat this weekend, the capt. and mate told me how different I looked. Jumping off and re-boarding the boat with 100 lbs of gear is doable...but PT is your friend :)

First dives this weekend after my knee replacements. Local New England diving (drysuit). Generally happy with how things went :). Great to be back in the water. Water temps 46-48F.

View attachment 414812
Love the pretty photo!
Happy to follow this thread of positivity, although in my case it will be hip surgery at 54.
Will be getting dry suit certified before getting surgery, as I don't want to miss this summer diving.
I am hoping to get the surgery early spring, April time, and just use Uber to get around. Then PT my way to recovery like Wonder Woman.
Has anyone here had the hip surgery?

I'm not yet 50 but I am bone on bone (osteoarthritis). My sister-in-law (an ED doc) said she could not believe I have been walking around after she looked at my films. I'm used to being in pain and I kept hoping it would get better but at a certain point you have to accept that Cartlidge is not going to grow back LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom