Knew it would happen eventually

How do you make sure an insta-buddy stays with you?

• Put him/her in the lead, then stay with 'em

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Use a leash

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Just keep an eye on 'em

Votes: 60 61.9%
  • Some other method - explained in my post

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I hoped it wouldn't happen but, on my 67th dive, it happen to me. My "insta" buddy left me on purpose ( what I found out later ). Only 2 of us diving. He's got approx 170 dives to my 67. 3 minutes into the dive, we were on a ledge at 48ft. I signal to him OK ? , he signals back OK. All is well. I look away for for no more than 30 seconds and, without moving from the ledge, look back and he's gone. Vis is maybe 20ft. I spent approx 2 minutes waiting in the same spot and looking around for him. He nevers comes back. I went to the surface, told the boat captain we got seperated. Captain says to wait on the surface and the buddy will show up and we can continue the dive. This is what I was taught to do. I floated for 10 minutes and he never showed up to get back together again. I then descended to about 20 ft along the shore for about 10 minutes, then I ended up terminating my dive as I was worried about him. I had over 1200 PSI left. I was on the boat for approx 20 minutes when he popped up. He said on the boat later that he just dropped down over the ledge and continued his dive solo, didn't bother looking for me. Boat Capt just rolled his eyes.

Yes, I know, I won't be diving with him again. And no, I never told him about what I thought about him leaving me, although I had asked where he had gone to. That's the only way I found out he dropped over the ledge. None of this was a problem as far as he was concerned. He had his dive, sure buggered up my dive.

That really sucks, coldwaterdufus. Your were conscientious and followed your training, which is to be commended. I'd imagine that your insta-buddy knew what the correct procedure was (i.e., you should stick together) and I believe that he abandoned you for the sake of convenience. By departing from the norms of diving, the very least that he should have done was to inform you that, in the event of separation, he will continue to dive. Of course, he shouldn't have left you in the first place, but seeing as he did (and likely planned to do so) he should have at least given you a heads-up.

I find that the norms that I have been trained to follow (always stick with your buddy, always surface together, etc.) don't always apply in the real world. I try to recap missing buddy and end-of-dive ascents with insta-buddies before a dive - you would be surprised at how many times the insta-buddy states that, in the event of a separation, we should continue to dive separately.

Insta-buddies need the same level of attention than two year olds with crayons until they're not insta-buddies any more.

Another reason to bring a pony bottle and NOT rely upon an insta-buddy. It's not just that he buggered your dive. It's that he took off with your emergency air supply.

That's why I tell insta buddies that if they leave me I will not look for them or be responsible for them. I also will inform someone ahead of time if I do plan to do the dive solo and that if they are not cool with that to find another person. There are some ops that insist you have a buddy. I try not to use them unless I have a buddy before we get on the boat. There have been times when asked who my buddy is I just pick two divers, ask them if I can buddy up and inform them that once we get in the water I'll be going my own way.

Wow how could someone get on a boat without a dive buddy and then when given a buddy that apparently could care less about diving with them get on Scuba board and whine about losing that buddy. You want to point out that the Insta-buddy did not adhere to training. what about you where was your responsibility in this dive. what was your plan. plan your dive dive your plan.
PADI, NAUI,SSI TDI,NSS,ect and ect. this is a building block of all agency standards. yet you Whine that the other guy was wrong. Why did you go without a buddy? If no one wants to go with you self examination is in order. If now one had time to go with you your in to much of a hurry. Insta buddys are divers to or they would not be there diving. I got hooked up with a guy from spain on a live aboard that started drinking at noon and still made 3 more dives a day. He is a diver and i am a diver. he is still alive im still alive.

If diving is to much for you and you hve got to have someone hold your hand Quit
no one will think less of you.

I had to read scubaflier's post several times to make sure I wasn't missing some sarcasm. If you are assigned as someones buddy regardless of your own desires, you have a responsibility to stay with them. If you have a problem with that, say it BEFORE the dive. People can't read minds last I checked. What is the mantra Plan the dive and Dive the plan.

You aren't ultimately responsible for another divers safety. We each take that onto ourselves but for a guys buddy to blindly run off isn't the fault of the guy that did what he was supposed to. If the other guy wanted to solo dive, he should have been up front about it. My guess is the boat doesn't allow solo diving and this was his way of making it happen without being upfront. Very douche bag like behavior if you ask me.

Buddy dive rules aren't hard. Stay with your buddy, if you loose them for more than a few minutes head to the surface and get back together if you can. Tell the divemaster/captain if they don't surface. It is for both divers and the boat crews protection.

I've lost track of 1. my long time buddy 2. an instructor 3. an experienced husband of an instructor. What's with it? Seems that if you're buddied up, other that basic safety stuff, staying together at all times is #1. 3 ft. or less can be a possible excuse, but maybe hold hands or use a short line. Is it that hard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom