Knife or scissor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But you can use a scissor as a knife in most cases by holding the metal and sawing with it as you would a knife

You and I must have very different ideas of what level of sharpness is necessary for a piece of metal to be considered a knife. Yes, I can do that with my EMT shears; no, I don't think that's anywhere near as good as I want a knife blade to be.

Then again, I'm a bit obsessive about sharpening/stropping and using a high carbon content steel even though it comes with higher maintance requirements. As between a sawed off walmart steak knife and a shear blade, there's probably not that much difference.

I like a knife for prying and sticking. I carry the shears and the z-knife too, but there are some dives that a knife seems like a good choice. If I plan to pry stuff, open clams (to feed the fish - always fun), need a stick to crawl up-current in the sand to get back to shore, or diving where thick anchor line and fish net might be a hazard.

skip

Trilobite and blunt tip knife. Knife is a useful tool, in and out of the water.

My dive buddies carry trauma shears and a z-cutter. I carry that plus a BFK bungeed on my thigh. I use the BFK for a lot of non-knife things, like sticking it in the sand as a temporary tie off for a line, or prying into and under things. It's politically incorrect, and gets me some odd looks on the cattle boats, but it's a better multi-tasking tool than a small knife.

What bfk?

big f*****g knife.

I carry one of those, have since '63 why stop now, trilobite line cutter, shears and any implements of destruction that I need for the dive.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I bought a XS Scuba Mini Fog-Cutter Knife.. Its a blunt tip, shears, a knife and a line cutter all in one, and I'm pretty impressed with the quality. Admittedly though the only thing i've cut with it is the Velcro straps on my dive gloves that were becoming a nuisance : )

Back
Top Bottom