knifes from Taiwan (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho

Reaction score

My local dive shop sells only knives from Italy & Germany because they say the taiwanese & chinese ones just dont have the same quality. Ive seen both kinds and the price differences are substantial.

Are the European blades worth the difference, or should I go with the Asian ones?

There are some beautiful European and Japanese knives out there and most of them aren't cheap! However, you need to look at a knife as a tool and know that you may lose one from time to time. Of all the stuff that I have found on dives over the years, dive knives rate right up there at the top in terms of numbers.

In the 80s a company named Wenoka helped move the dive knife price from around $20 to way over $60. They were fine knives, but they created an artificially high price for that good old $20-30 tool.

I tried selling a knife to dive shops last year that would run only $39.95 and they tossed me out! They told me that the customers wanted a more expensive and higher quality item. Well, maybe so.

I guess it comes down to personal preference and how cheap you are.

Just my $.02

Ray

Good point, Ray. Most italian knifes Ive seen are in the $70-100 range. The strange thing is that Im finding that the Taiwanese pieces Im seeing are more appealing in terms of design. I guess I will also look for Japanese ones. Can you recommend any other brands (besides Wenoka) I should look for? Thanks.

Can't help you there. I have been selling these $20 knives for so long that I have stopped looking at the higher dollar ones. You just have to look around at some of the other dive shops and just find something you like!

Just my $.02

Ray

PS If you want one of my $20 specials just drop me a line at ray@rayzplace.com

Make sure you check the grade (don't know if that is the right word) of the steel. I thing the lower the number, the better the steel..but it could be the other way around. From what I've noticed the money for the cheaper knives is saved on the sheath. The knife may be great...but the sheath that holds it is basic, cheap plastic, and likely to crack in your dive bag. Since most knives and sheaths are sold as a set, make sure you take a good look at that.

Also, the straps are to be closely examined (if they come with leg straps...another way they keep the cost down). Of course, if you find a knife with a qualitly sheath and good blade, but cheap straps, you can pick up a set of good straps for a decent price and will probably make it worth it.

generally, the lower the number (300 series) the harder
and more corrosion resistant the steel: too bad it is also
not able to take and hold an edge. that's why SS bolt-snaps,
hose clamps and stuff are made of 300 series.

the better 400 series (440C etc) are not as hard or
corrosion resistant but take and hold an edge.

some 400 series (eg: "J") are NOT quality and tend to be found in use for cheap import "collector" knives.

Hey I think you might confusing, 300 series is the one that non corrosion cause it' has less carbon!! and that mean less sharp.
In other hand 400 has more carbon that help it got sharper edge. I'm i right fellow?

The higher the number the more carbon and corrosion but also the harder the steel. So called high-grade steel or stainless steel has only 0.02% carbon, but is not very hard and unsuitable for knives.

My dad bought a Taiwan knife, I've got a quallity steel German ranger knife (Herbertz). We threw them into a tree from a distance of 10 meters/30yards. The light Taiwan knive bended about 20° at the top 2 centimeters/1 inch. The very heavy and long ranger knive only 2°. No way I would buy a Taiwan knive!

I've bought a titanium knive (Seemann Sub, ~90USD/EUR). It's also not very hard. But it has no corrosion at all! Thats what's important to me. One item less I have to care about.

tuti :dead:

tuti once bubbled...

My dad bought a Taiwan knife, I've got a quallity steel German ranger knife (Herbertz). We threw them into a tree from a distance of 10 meters/30yards. The light Taiwan knive bended about 20° at the top 2 centimeters/1 inch. The very heavy and long ranger knive only 2°. No way I would buy a Taiwan knive!

tuti :dead:

10 meters (32.8 feet)/30yards (90 feet). ??? Your dad threw the taiwanese knife 32.8 feet and you threw the German number 90 feet? Excellent.

Hmm..Well this has given me something to think about since I'm always having to throw my dive knife 100 odd feet and embed it into a tree. It's an awesome way to practice the skill set needed in an underwater recreational diving/combat situation... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom