knifes from Taiwan (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knife price is directly proportional to the likelyhood of losing it...

KOMPRESSOR:
Jeeeez! It's just a knife! Who are you going to make an impression on? Get the cheap one. And what's with the Italian knives? Never heard their industry were so good with steel that it would matter.

Besides, you're gonna drop it and loose it one day anyway, won't you :D
I agree. Cheap & cheerful is the way to go. Also agree with the guy who suggested sometimes company's request "cheap" from Asian suppliers that are capable of quality (the result is the same though). I realise I was on shakey ground mentioning quality and the EU! :D Innovation & quality are increasingly important though. Re. Italian steel -- anybody remember the 1996 Lancia?! :11: Fiats vs. Ferraris, Buggatti vs. Vespas, Lamborgini's vs. Lamboretta's, etc. I guess you get all sorts! Italy seems to foster small businesses, innovation & craftsmanship -- it isn't all going to be great! :wink:

"You would just lose it anyway.."

Yeah but I'd look cool with my custom forged, hand polished 8" blade with Mother of Pearl handle. The pommel made from Brass in figure of a miniature hard hat diver helmet. It could even have a built in depth gauge. Oh man I'd have to by one...

Eric

ElectricZombie:
I use a ground down Victorinox kitchen knife...it will outcut any dive knife I've ever seen.

Kitchen knifes here too. I just bought a few 2 for about 1.20 USD (not Victorinox in this case) and have the sharp ends cut off. Made the sheath from 2" weight belt material that are left over from my harness webbing. Each knife+sheath costs me more less about a dollar. :11: Always have 2 or 3 of them on my dive trip so I don't have to worry about losing a knife on my dives. They are not inferior to the stainless steel dive knife I started off with which costs about 40 USD. :D

I know someone who lost his titanium dive knife on one of the trip. You should be able to imagine what he has to say. :wink:

I've got two primary knives. My large one is a 420 SS U.S.A. steel Blue Tang by Underwater Kinetics. Blunt tip w/saw back and line cutter. I think I paid 59 bucks for it at my lds. A little high I agree but it's a quality blade And I like it. The second is a gerber Chameleon that I got at Wal Mart for 23 bucks. It's a folder and the sheath fits perfectly on my inflator hose velcro. Delrin handle with a LARGE hole that finger or thumb can fit in even with gloves.1/2 of the blade is serrated and its a great knife. I used to be a buck fan until they wussed the 110 by rounding the corners. Been partial to gerbers and kershaws ever since. My sunday/go to meeting knife is a kershaw. I was a butcher for over 20 yrs so putting an edge on is not a problem. I usually use a single bevel similar to a samurai blade. Much stronger and easier to touch up. Comes in handy with my katana since it's a 43 inch blade. Would love to have a Randal but I use my knives too much. If I'm afraid of using or losing it it's of no use to me. Try looking for a uk before you buy. You may like it and find it at a decent price. BTW I got one of those shiny wenokas for my son from a guy who was giving up diving, I am not impressed with it.

rcontrera:
In the 80s a company named Wenoka helped move the dive knife price from around $20 to way over $60. They were fine knives, but they created an artificially high price for that good old $20-30 tool.

Ray

That's funny, I just bought a titanium knife from Wenoka for US29. Looks good but not sure of the sheath quality or how it will hold up until I abuse it some. Good, sharp edge for a new knife, though. You usually have to touch-up a new knife with a stone to really get it sharp.

Orlando Eric:
"You would just lose it anyway.."

Yeah but I'd look cool with my custom forged, hand polished 8" blade with Mother of Pearl handle. The pommel made from Brass in figure of a miniature hard hat diver helmet. It could even have a built in depth gauge. Oh man I'd have to by one...

Eric

Where do you dive? I want to go in after you and look for it on the bottom. Hehehe :e18:

d33ps1x:
10 meters (32.8 feet)/30yards (90 feet). ??? Your dad threw the taiwanese knife 32.8 feet and you threw the German number 90 feet? Excellent.

Hmm..Well this has given me something to think about since I'm always having to throw my dive knife 100 odd feet and embed it into a tree. It's an awesome way to practice the skill set needed in an underwater recreational diving/combat situation... :confused:

LOL

d33ps1x:
10 meters (32.8 feet)/30yards (90 feet). ??? Your dad threw the taiwanese knife 32.8 feet and you threw the German number 90 feet? Excellent.

Hmm..Well this has given me something to think about since I'm always having to throw my dive knife 100 odd feet and embed it into a tree. It's an awesome way to practice the skill set needed in an underwater recreational diving/combat situation... :confused:
Obviously don't watch enough James Bond films. You probably think spearguns are for fishing! :wink: :D

Mr. X:
Obviously don't watch enough James Bond films. You probably think spearguns are for fishing! :wink: :D
Just got my new knife set up together -- will let you know how I get on. It consists of a flat stainless Steel "Stingray Professional Divers Knife" (an economy level Taiwanese knife, shipped via the USA I believe, http://www.extremeoutdoorgear.com/) and a Rob Allen Limpet sheath (total price about 12 pounds ~= $20). This is a very low profile combination --very desirable when freediving, snorkelling & spearfishing in weed/kelp forests.

Pros:
- low profile (less catching, hydro-dynamic, stable, barely noticeable on -- for oneself & others)
- central point of knife is good design for ichi-spike use when spearfishing
- one straight edge, one serrated, both sharp
- shiney (usually corrode less).
- excellent calf fit, inside or outside
- elastic bands make loosing the sheath impossible
- sheath hold the knife very well, right up to near the end of the handle

Cons:
- Flat metal handles are sub-optimal for comfort & general appeal (but optimal for unobtrusive carrying).
- knife handle feels a little short to me (common on this type of knife I think)
- sheath has larger band at top -- so not really suitable for arm mount (surprisingly) & no good for thigh mount if you have legs like mine (prob. ok for Kate Moss though!).
- was hard to get knife in & even more to get it out of sheath (possibly due to newness of sheath, but I have sorted that out... see below.
- knife was hard to sheath & unsheath without the remedies described below (which completely solve this issue).

I have already modded the setup as follows:

1. Added 1" lanyard with a small wooden toggle (similar to plastic toggle used by Rob Allen assegai knife) -- makes removing knife simple.

2. Added a springy lanyard, about a yard or so long when stretched, from sheath to knife butt. Tried strimmer cord but it was much to big, so made the spiral lanyard from 35lb fishing lines (boiled then chilled around a hazel stick) -- very small and unobtrusive. A little stronger/thicker line might be better (e.g. 50-100lb?).

3. The sheath is black, so I added reflective tape to the front and back & a little white paint -- just in case it is dropped on land or from a boat (it is unlikely to become detached during normal use.

4. Coated knife with thin layer of cooking oil (best to avoid mineral oil in your fish). This makes sheathing & unsheathing the knife much easier & the knife is still very secure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom