Know one of these guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icantdive55:
By the way this guy has been a dive shop manager for over 20 years. He told me the other day that he new the location of a sunken jet ski that he was going to recover as soon as the lake went down 20 or 30 feet. It's currently in 180 feet of water, but because the arm of the lake it's in has really steep sides it should only be about 80 or 90 feet deep after the level drops. I had him repeat this to make sure he didn't just fumble his words. Then I brought a friend in and got him to tell the same story. It never changed. Many many more..
LOL!! :wallywink Must be that "new math"!! :shocked:

Oh yeah, this guy owns a LDS in my area. I actually heard him tell one of his BS stories one time where a guy ran an inflatable boat down the throat of a shark and choked it to death. :D

___

NWGratefulDiver:
So we took him up to this little place called Mad River Glen. Poor guy lasted two runs and begged off with some tale about how his ski boot was broken. . . . Bob (Grateful Diver)
Well, you know what their slogan is..........Mad River Glen, ski it IF you can. Mad River has great skiing. If you find yourself coming back this way to do some skiing, PM me and we'll do a few runs.
C-Dawg

NWGratefulDiver:
I've known a few "Walter Mitty" types ... and not just in scuba.

...Poor guy lasted two runs and begged off with some tale about how his ski boot was broken. It was pretty obvious watching him pick his way down the trail that the boot wasn't the problem. ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have had a great deal of fun with some of those types of guys. I was a PSIA Level II cert ski instructor for about 10 years. Ran into a guy who was doing his best to impress the girls with his exploits and invited him on a few runs. He sucked - to put it bluntly. His excuse was that his edges were dull - so I pulled a file and diamond dressing tool out of my fanny pack and offered to fix him up. He disappeared so fast it created a vacuum.

Lot's of these guys in all sorts of sports I've been involved with: climbing, competitive shooting, paragliding.

I like the subtle ones as in "Hey everyone I have a SAC rate of .25 but the number isn't important it's just a tool for planning...but hey everyone you know my SAC rate is .25 right!:)

Or then there's the royal "We" as in, this is the way "we" do it as in you should do it this way to.

And then there's my favorite the born again diver. It can be an old school diver or a former public safety diver, or sometimes a commercial diver. These are people who spent most of their life walking around on the bottom. When these convert into dive guru's look out. Recovering alcoholics have nothing on them in the lecturing department. They've been there, done it all, and now that they have seen the light, they're going to help you see it as well:)

I like the ski analogies. I learned to ski on the east coast while in college. I heard one guy bragging about how great he was at the bar. I later saw him on a chair lift. He had a thousand dollars worth of clothing and equipment on however when I looked down to his feet he had 3 ft kiddie training ski's on:)

My own favorite is guitar players. There's lots of guys who talk a lot of crap aboout how good they are, but when the pick hits the strings... not soo much. We (my early '90s original band) played this show one time with this other band, and the guitar player was just hounding me about having some sort of contest. After we played, he wasn't so excited about that prospect. :rolleyes:

I never say I'm "the best" guitar player. In my experience, there's always someone better than you out there. I do admit to being pretty good, but to brag about it? No way.

Most recently it's performance motorcycling. There's lots of morons who think that pulling a wheelie in front of Club 54 means you've "got mad skillz, yo". Any moron can buy an R1 and go fast in a straight line. The guys I've chosen to ride and mentor with don't brag on a damned thing. They just go to the track and win. :)

Jimmie

CIBDiving:
:bang: :lol3: Almost wish I woulda said that :D

WOW NOW! I am under 30, not DIR but more of a "DIC" (Dive-It-Comfortably)... Yeah, I do think I can outswim anybody outhere (or anywhere), think my SAC rate is crap (Gotta give up smoking), do have mad skilz. On the other hand - I'll always listen, and always ask (Even though I have been diving for the past 14 years (not a pro, more of a shalow bottom cruiser)...

Never said that I can ski - even though grew up 30 mins from world class resorts - always hated it and thought it was stupid...

On the other hand there is one thing out there that I have total respect for - and that's the water

NWGratefulDiver:
I've known a few "Walter Mitty" types ...
Have you heard my regulator when I'm breathing it?

ta-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa

daniel f aleman:
Pretty much describes any DIR wanna'-be under 30.

Just as an aside, isn't "DIR wanna' be" a misnomer? It's it really DIR don't wanna be?:05:
I mean anyone who wants to be DIR can. I hear the term used by DIR people to describe non DIR people who are using a necklaced second, BP/W, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom