ko tao woman hit by boat propeller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
now im getting u sucked into this
You started it, so you are not been sucked into this. The other parts of your post make little sense to me.

If you're genuinely interested in a discussion on the topic, help us out with verifiable information. The only article I could find was this one: Lawyer quits two weeks before trial as parents scramble for justice for daughter, Silje Mathisen - Samui Times

And it pretty much boils down to "no one has any idea what is happening with the legal cases."

That's not how it works. PADI provides materials and a standard for scuba diving training. They do not run dive operations.

Putting up a flag (or not) is subject to local regulations which the dive operation is required to follow. The fact that the DM was PADI trained says to me that he was aware of this. Nothing more. PADI could only be held responsible for a gap in the training if there was nothing in their training materials stating that pro's need to be aware of local law.

In other words, they didn't "wash their hands" of it. They are literally not involved.

R..

That's not how it works. PADI provides materials and a standard for scuba diving training. They do not run dive operations.

Putting up a flag (or not) is subject to local regulations which the dive operation is required to follow. The fact that the DM was PADI trained says to me that he was aware of this. Nothing more. PADI could only be held responsible for a gap in the training if there was nothing in their training materials stating that pro's need to be aware of local law.

In other words, they didn't "wash their hands" of it. They are literally not involved.

R..
no need for debate on issue. ok padi does not provide protections for new divers? is that so? like a flag above dive site in 5 meters of water in a known area where boats are cruising above????????????AND, the divers did not have their own boat above. for some reason it was far off. im not here to debate issue. only to report what i feel is something that was done very unfairly to the Norwegian silje. if u go to samui times thier are articles about this affair. and it seems their is plenty of blame to go around. im here on earth to enjoy life. but when i see injustice of this scale .its disturbing

You started it, so you are not been sucked into this. The other parts of your post make little sense to me.
what doesnt make sense.. two girls first dive. dm was not around. dm had no flag above. another leisure diver who had some dives grabs the leg of the other girl and saves her life. silje got sucked into propeller. make up your own mind . thier needs to be a bit of justice in this case regarding dm ricky Collins.

no need for debate on issue. ok padi does not provide protections for new divers? is that so?

Don't get me wrong. I'm trying to inform you, not to wage a debate.

You seem to understand. PADI offers no protections for newly certified divers. PADI's responsibly ends at the moment the the certification is issued.

like a flag above dive site in 5 meters of water in a known area where boats are cruising above????????????AND, the divers did not have their own boat above. for some reason it was far off. im not here to debate issue. only to report what i feel is something that was done very unfairly to the Norwegian silje. if u go to samui times thier are articles about this affair. and it seems their is plenty of blame to go around. im here on earth to enjoy life. but when i see injustice of this scale .its disturbing

There is injustice here and I absolutely do not fault you for being angry about it. However, the DM was in the water with them and the shop was organizing the day. Neither of those entities are under PADI management or supervision at that point.

I want to make clear that I fully understand what you mean. A number of years ago I (me and my team) rescued a diver from an instructor/DM who made a horrible mistake and left one of their students on the bottom for dead. To make a long story short the DM made one of the most unforgivable mistakes I had even seen a pro make. I wanted to see PADI strip him of his pro status but for various reasons they did/could not. This boiled my blood because I think PADI missed a chance to make a statement. I know they've thrown other pros under the bus in the past and I really wanted to see them do that here too. I was deeply disappointed although the cognitive part of me could understand why.

So yeah, I do understand your emotions. What I was trying to correct is your assumption that the agency was responsible. The DM and the shop are responsible when it's related to guiding certified divers.

R..

i just want to state that a girl on her first dive underwater. should have a divemaster right in front of her at all times. period..........especially if they are in shallow water with known to be spot where boats are going overhead. especially if they choose to be out in the shallow water without thier own boat overhead . watching. i hope u get this message. i want justice for the girl. if u google the author of the samui times articles. his last article is about how propellers create a draft that suck u into it.

R..[/QUOTE]

thier is a Aussie lawyer that is posting articles about this incident . in samui times. his last article speaks about how a propeller creates a sucking under a boat. that sucks u into propeller....

google ian yarwood.......samui times.......silje .......................and u will see his articles. compelling stuff and as an american i want to see justice done. u dont leave a first time diver alone underwater. with only other divers around.......initial reports were that the other divers were dive instructor apprentices. but now it comes to light the other divers were just other divers.................one of them saved the other Norway girl

Certified diver on a guided dive, starting to make sense.

The DM is a guide, not an instructor, and the divers were not students. He left because he also had a duty to the rest of the dive group.

An unfortunate case.

Bob

girls first dive under water and no one watching them ..........unfortunate? or criminal also. ko tao on the front beach ..........sairee.............is known for reckless boat activity..........5 meters of water and no flag ? no boat in vicinity above for look out.? the dm leaves the girls ...........to be dealt with by other divers. just divers not apprentices................unfortunate or criminal. u decide the dm should be in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom