ko tao woman hit by boat propeller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
girls first dive under water and no one watching them ..

They were certified divers. Certification by definition means the divers are qualified to plan and execute a dive by themselves without assistance.

is known for reckless boat activity..........5 meters of water and no flag ? no boat in vicinity above for look out.?

I don't know the dive flag laws there, but having a flag or DSMB inflated on the surface could have helped. A boat looking out for them above would be good however, the boat may have been above the main group of divers.

the dm leaves the girls ...........to be dealt with by other divers. just divers not apprentices................unfortunate or criminal. u decide the dm should be in jail.

The DM left when there was no problem, he was probably looking for the rest of his group so he could get them all togather and up safely. It sounds like the DM was a dive guide and did not have the one to one responsibility for the safety of a diver that instructor would have.

It is an unfortunate incident, unless there is some procedure there I am unaware of the dive guide should have executed, I would not put the dive guide in jail.

Bob

They were certified divers. Certification by definition means the divers are qualified to plan and execute a dive by themselves without assistance.

I don't know the dive flag laws there, but having a flag or DSMB inflated on the surface could have helped. A boat looking out for them above would be good however, the boat may have been above the main group of divers.

The DM left when there was no problem, he was probably looking for the rest of his group so he could get them all togather and up safely. It sounds like the DM was a dive guide and did not have the one to one responsibility for the safety of a diver that instructor would have.

It is an unfortunate incident, unless there is some procedure there I am unaware of the dive guide should have executed, I would not put the dive guide in jail.

Bob

no the girls were not certified divers. they had just read the padi book and were out on thier first dive. that means they were very vulnerable. and not certified. i dont know what else i can say. u put two girls in harms way . boat traffic. no one to look after them? and u are saying its just unfortunate. not good enuf. im sorry. i will wait for the court handing out sentence this month in Thailand.

Are you a diver? What is your interest in this case?

Questions asked as to diver safety after 1st time diver is killed in Koh Tao - Samui Times

Please see the link (above) which will take readers to my most recent article that was published in the Samui Times. At the end of the article there are further links to earlier articles.

Please note that some of the very earliest articles that appeared in the mainstream media contained several factual errors including the first name and last name of Norwegian girl, Silje Mathisen.

Questions asked as to diver safety after 1st time diver is killed in Koh Tao - Samui Times

Please see the link (above) which will take readers to my most recent article that was published in the Samui Times. At the end of the article there are further links to earlier articles.

Please note that some of the very earliest articles that appeared in the mainstream media contained several factual errors including the first name and last name of Norwegian girl, Silje Mathisen.

thanks for being here mr. yarwood. i have read all of your articles. and i simply cannot accept that this will be put under the carpet by all parties .........simply unacceptable. the girl deserves more ............someone asked me if im a diver. yes im a diver but i would never dive on ko tao. simply too dangerous. and i see the dive shops thier mostly smoking cigarettes and buying booze every evening. now its not all shops . but many . especially the ones on sairee beach where the girl was killed..........i do dive in phillipines ............WITH LOCALS. who know what is going on. not foreigners like on ko tao.............i just left ko tao . i was their a month. i asked quite a few dive shops about this and nobody wants to talk about it. i leave for phillipines tommorrow for a month. i only snorkel on ko tao.........now i hope the others here will read mr yarwoods articles and as divers i hope we get some objective feedback, them being outsiders of Thailand. and P.S. it was reported that ricky Collins was partying the night before. the thais should have given him a drug test after the incident. how he got his passport back to leave is still unknown. many people run from Thailand because they fear they will not be treated fairly by the thai judicial system. all i can say is ricky has blood on his hands. why the british govt. will not force the man to return to thailand and face justice is beyond me.

so padi does not protect divers from any incident like this . good to know. padi did an investigation into this incident and apparently took ricky Collins membership away. and then had the dive shop scuba junction go thru additional training to keep their padi membership. but if a girl died shouldn't padi have done the training before the incident.? to prevent an incident? to not have a dive flag up in 5 meters of water is just silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom