LADS - Laser Airborne Depth Sounding - Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Oh come on!! Somebody's got to know how this stuff works! Where are all the tech junkies and gearheads that litter this board? Get out of the DIR forum and deliver the dirty secrets!

Don't make me run a google search...

The descriptions I've read about LADS is that is bounces laser beams off the water surface and the bottom and measure the difference in distance giving a depth to bottom for that reading. It does lots of these readings from an airplane or helicopter.

The results I've seen in Broward County (one county south of me) are pretty impressive...you can see the reefs, wrecks, etc.

Marcus

Basically it is a blue green laser rangefinder that is carried by an aircraft. The laser scans as the aircraft flies a pattern. The range data is then converted to height data and voila!

This was originally used for mine hunting, IIRC. The "Airborne Laser Mine Detection System".

I believe that this sort of gear is called LIDAR. Like RADAR, only with a laser.

Peter

From an Australian source:
It took 20 years and A$60M to build the laser airborne depth sounder (LADS). The laser component is now stabilized in a modified Fokker F27-500, a twin-propeller aircraft, on a platform designed to counteract pitch, roll, and sideways drift of the aircraft. Compared to its ship-based sonar counterpart, the LADS-equipped plane travels at 145 knots, 14 times faster than a ship. It reads the sea floor to a width of 240m, and depth of 50m, compared with sonar which measures a strip as wide as the water is deep, for example, an area 20m wide in 20m of water.

The RAN estimated that it would take more than 100 years to finish surveying the Australian Continental Shelf using surface vessels that cover, at best, 4 square kilometers per hour. But LADS, which can survey the sea floor at 50 square kilometers per hour can reduce this to 15 years, and the cost per-unit area surveyed will be about one-third of that of a conventional shipborne survey.

The airborne package consists of a 168-Hz Nd:YAG infra-red laser whose output is frequency doubled to produce visible green light (532nm) in one megawatt, five-nanosecond pulses that propagate well in clear ocean or coastal waters. An optical coupler splits the output into infra-red and green components which are eye-safe from the operating altitude of 500m. Infra-red pulses are emitted vertically from the aircraft and reflect from the sea surface to provide an initial sea-surface reference. A scanning mirror directs the green pulses to form a sounding pattern of 10 by 10-m intervals over a width of 240m on each survey run.

The green pulses, reflect from both the sea surface and the bottom, are collected by the scanning mirror and sent to a telescope with spectral, spatial and polarizing filters. The pulses are detected by a photomultiplier with controlled gain and propagation characteristics and digitized at 2-nm intervals, providing a resolution better than 0.22m. The time differences between returning signals are computed to yield water depth. The digitized images are then combined with satellite global-positioning data for analysis by ground equipment.

At present, LADS is operating from Cairns in Northern Queensland (Australia) where it is charting the Great Barrier Reef without damaging coral or marine life. It is also exposing hidden underwater dangers and finding better routes for commercial shipping, thereby saving millions of dollars in shipping costs.

Apart from hydrographic surveys, LADS has other potential applications, including coastal and marine resource management programs, fishery resource assessments, oil and gas pipeline and rig location and military reconnaissance and tactical missions.

In 1994 the US Navy (USN) evaluated LADS together with helicopter-borne systems from Sweden and the US as well as a fixed-wing system from Canada. The USN installed the system in a P-3 Orion aircraft and, after extensive trials in Southern Australian and Great Barrier waters, decided to buy the system; they took delivery in January 1996.

Although the DSTO built the prototype system, Vision Systems Limited (Adelaide) subsequently designed and delivered the first LADS to the RAN Hydrographic Service. LADS Corporation (Adelaide) is contracted by the RAN to provide operational, maintenance and logistics support to the RAN's LADS Unit's Survey program. LADS Corporation is also marketing the system internationally under license from DSTO. The company is building a $24-million LADS system to provide a contract surveying service which has been available worldwide from January 1998. This system will feature a faster pulse solid-state diode laser (built by LADS Corp.) and compact, high-performance computing to enable closer spot spacing and greater area coverage.

archman:
what kind of laser is used for this, and what are the limitations? I've never heard of an airborne mapping technique before.

here is a remote sensing article I published last year in DIVERS OCEAN PLANET:

http://uwex.us/aue/remotesensing.html

scroll down to the laser section...

archman:
From an Australian source:
Hey archman, i am currently doing a project on LADS for physics and i was wondering if you could give me some more info on LADS and in particular how the use of two beams in the system enables the presence of waves and swell to be taken into account. also what the purpose of the two end pulses along a scan line is and how does the frequency doubler derive the green laser beam from the infa red beam. it would be hugely appreciated if you could do your best to answer these questions, thank you

archman:
Oh come on!! Somebody's got to know how this stuff works! Where are all the tech junkies and gearheads that litter this board? Get out of the DIR forum and deliver the dirty secrets!

Don't make me run a google search...

Ok, I did the google search!

Try this:

http://www.hydro.gov.au/surveying/lads/lads-how.htm

I think I understand it :11: now?!

Larry Stein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom