Lake Cleanup Event - Orlando Area - Calling all advanced divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's quite a ways out, but keep me in the loop. If I'm around I'd love to help out.

Lee

Right now it's a weekend between two classes. Looks like a good date to me. I have it on my calendar... As long as no surprise classes pop in there... I'll be good to go.

Awesome!!! I will reach out to everyone with more details when I know more!

Just got this update from my girlfriend who works at Winter Park.

I am coordinating the scuba event for May 2nd @ either Lake Virginia or Lake Osceola. I was wondering where can I get stats on the lakes: depth, clarity levels, types of underwater plants, etc?

REPLY:

Both lakes have similar depths – to about 30 feet or so. Lake Osceola probably as a slightly greater average depth (average depth in both lakes is greater than 10 feet).

Clarity fluctuates throughout the year. Both lakes can range from about a meter to over 4 meters in clarity. Currently both lakes are between 1.5 and 2.0 meters. There can be quite a bit of spatial variation in clarity as well. There can be as much as a meter difference in clarity from one part of the lake to another.

There are significant amounts of aquatic plants in both lakes. Eel grass is the dominant species in both lakes, but pondweed and hydrilla can be present in large amounts depending on the treatment schedules. The coverage of lake area with aquatic plants ranges from 50% to as much as 85%.

No particular permits would be needed for the divers to participate in the event.

If the divers are going to use motorboats I would like to know the type of boat and the Florida registration number in advance. That way we can exempt them from the City’s user fee for the day. If they already have a pass for their boat, then that is okay too.

All boats and divers must be in compliance with all State and Coast Guard safety requirements, or they are subject to fines and/or ejection from the lakes. The Winter Park Police are the primary enforcement entity on the water, however the City of Maitland, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, or the Coast Guard may have officers on the water at any given time.

For safety purposes, I would recommend that any diving activities be restricted to early morning hours (until 10:00 a.m. or so), and within the 100 foot no wake zone around the lake shoreline areas.

None of the lakes are in any worse shape trash wise than others. All of the lakes will have their share of sunken “no wake” buoys, as we lose quite a few a year. There will also be concrete blocks and nylon rope associated with the buoys. We remove what we can, but once the buoy is lost, a lot of that material is not visible from the surface. Lake Mizell has the clearest water, and the least amount of boat traffic, so they may want to try that for starters. They may also be able to stay out longer on that lake due the low number of motorboats.

More to come..

These are the only guidelines I've been able to find from the coast guard for divers.
Please let me know if there are other regulations so we can be in compliance.

* The size of divers-down flags displayed on vessels should be 20 inches by 24 inches, and a stiffener is required to keep the flag unfurled. Dive flags carried on floats may still be 12 by 12. Also, divers-down flags on vessels must be displayed so that the flag's visibility is not obstructed.
* Divers shall attempt to stay within 100 feet of the divers-down flag on rivers, inlets and navigation channels. Vessels should stay at least 100 feet away from a divers-down flag.
* On all waters other than rivers, inlets or navigation channels, divers must make a reasonable effort to stay within 300 feet of the divers-down flag; vessel operators must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of 300 feet on these waters.
* Vessels may approach within 300 feet in open water and 100 feet in rivers, inlets and navigation channels of a divers-down flag only at idle speed; approaching at higher speed is reckless operation.
* Divers shall not, except in case of emergency, display the divers-down flag in an area which would constitute a navigational hazard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom