Lake Rawlings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to be unable to get there this weekend but hope someone will post the water temps? I think last report was 50-ish? Should begin warming up slowly but surely!

I am going to be unable to get there this weekend but hope someone will post the water temps? I think last report was 50-ish? Should begin warming up slowly but surely!

If no one posts from this weekend, I will post them for next weekend.

Will do, Mark. See you sometime soon I'm sure.

Ok, here's what I got this morning:
20' 50F
30' 48F
40' 47F
50' 46F
The viz was around 30'.

Well, that was my estimation anyway, but I'm never really exactly sure. I kind of guess the distance as that at which I would be able to recognize a diver.

Honestly I have never observed much more than 30 foot of viz in that lake, even in the dead of winter and being the only one in the water.

I went last Saturday, the 19th. It was a beautiful day 70 degrees. The water temp was 49 on the surface and 45 at the plane. I think all of us (maybe dozen folks) were diving dry.

The dock is a mess- I would reccomend steering clear of it.

Honestly I have never observed much more than 30 foot of viz in that lake, even in the dead of winter and being the only one in the water.

I agree with you, usually it does not exceed 30 feet or so. But there are exceptions. I dive there solo often, and as I game I use landmarks to gage the vis. Two things I noticed when I was there earlier this month: I could clearly see the far end of the deep bus from near the tail of the plane, and I could barely make out the surface from along the cliffs and track my bubbles most of the way to the surface. BUT....those conditions are extremely rare. It is very easy to stir the lake up...it is not that big. It was the first day of the season and I was the first diver, so nobody had been stirring up the site for weeks, and Kevin was just starting his work on the dock. If the lake just sits, and the temps are cold, everything really settles out and vis can get particularly good. But add just a few divers and that changes. Hell, my buddy and I probably screwed it up for everyone else just by diving ourselves:D. I don't even dive there in the summer or on weekends, as all the students make it not worth the drive. Anyway, those are my observations, for whatever they are worth.

I'm going to Rawlings the first weekend in April w/ The Dive Shop. Water temps in the upper 40s / low 50s right? On the verge of dry or semi-dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom