Lake Tahoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By June 8th you can probably expect a surface temp of around 55 (rough guestimate) At 70 feet on Saturday the 17th the temp was 45 degrees on the west shore of Tahoe. PM me if you have questions. Dont know if Bliss park is full for that weekend but you could call and check for camping. The other available state parks nearby for camping are Sugar Pine Point and Meeks Bay.

Hi folks,

I'm tentatively interested but I might only end up being there for one of the days - it depends on my schedule. What are the water temps like in June? I dive Monterey in a 7 full with 7 vest - will I freeze my butt off in Tahoe in that setup or will I be OK for a dive or two?

Nathan

Nathan
Were you interested in taking a specialty course or just wanting to hang out and dive?

Sarah, Mark, Heather, Emily, Carrie and I Met Kent at Meeks Bay Saturday morning. Poor Kent agreed to help Charles with his OW class, so we left him on the beach and went out for a quick dip outside of Meeks bay. Water temp was still a bit chilly 48 degrees. So carrie volunteered to stay on the boat while the rest of us went out to look for the speedboat. Vis wasn't as good as last month. but still better than most days in the Pacific. I'd say we had about 50 feet of vis.
I didn't find the speedboat and the wetsuit divers were getting chilled so we went shallower toward the boulders where Heather found a good size crawfish to play with.
After Kent finished with the class he Joined us for lunch, then we headed out to dive the Barges in Emerald Bay. It didn't take long for us to realize we had overloaded the boat with 7 bodies, six sets of gear and spare tanks on board. Being concerned that time and fuel consumption were against us it was decided to stop at Rubicon Wall for dive 2. Dropping down I look below me to see Sarah investigating an object in a crevice between the rocks at about 25 feet. She moved away from it so I went to see what it was. It was a lost dive light. I recovered the light, turned it on and it worked. Since Sarah didn't bring one down with her I handed it over to her, then reached for mine turned the switch and DOH! dead batteries! oh well plenty of ambient light anyway. LOL
My computer recorded 46 degrees, at 79 feet.

Sunday morning following breakfast at the Old Postoffice, we put the boat in at Kings Beach, then motored over to Stateline Wall. Since Carrie took the truck and trailer to Meeks Bay it was just Sarah, Mark, Heather Em, and I. We anchored at about 29 feet just west of the wall. Mark and Sarah splashed first. and headed out on their own. I stayed with Heather and Em. This time I recorded 51 degree water. The normally great vis was speckled with some type of red colored organism, Sarah asked me if that was some type of freshwater shrimp. Honestly I don't know, it was pretty small, suspended in the water column. Following that dive we set out south to meet up with Kent and Carrie at Meeks Bay. Leaving the used tanks on shore, we again set out to Emerald bay. this time we had less weight on board, so the boat performed beautifully. Arriving at the Barges we tie off, send Mark and Sarah overboard, then splash heather and em. I'm last in (was playing DM you know.) We meet up at the barge, after touring the perimeter of the barges, we start trying to feed the locals some bread I brought down with me. The minnows inhabiting the wreck wanted nothing to do with me, so I leave them a piece of bread, and meet up with Heather who is fascinated with a community of crawfish she found on the shallow side of the wreck. I hand her the rest of the bread which might not have been the best idea because now she's there forever trying to feed her new friends. Em and I watch and hover over the deck of the barge. Finally Em signals she's cold so I lead us back to the mooring ball. Again 51 degrees.

Last edited:
Great report Ron. I am going to try and investigate what those red things were .... they were definitely moving around in the water, you could see their little "antennae" for lack of a better word.

It was a great weekend, - wonderful company, good laughs, cold water and good food! :D What more can a girl ask for?

Here a couple of pictures from last weekend. Sorry I've been a bit slow getting them posted.

Attachments

• emily.jpg
    emily.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Heather.jpg
    Heather.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 35
  • Mark&Sarah.jpg
    Mark&Sarah.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 40
Awesome. I really must get a new mask so that I don't have such weird eyes underwater!!! :D I'll try and get to mine this weekend.

The little red dots that you are refering to is a type of fresh water shirmp. They were introduced into the lake a while back to feed another fish that was introduced into the lake. Sometimes they are so thick you can only see 10 feet in front of you. Over on the Nevada side at Sand Hardbor they are still pretty thick.

If you guys want to dive with some of us locals that dive the lake almost every weekend shoot me a PM. If you want some training on altiude diving I can provide that too since I teach though a local dive center here.

Hope to talk to some of you soon.

Back
Top Bottom