Latex seal adhesive and cuff rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerrynuss

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a few questions I am hoping I can get answered:

What is the best choice for latex seal adhesive?

Who makes the largest drysuit cuff rings?

jerrynuss:

Hi, I have used aquaseal and cotol as an adhesive, works great. Can't give you an opinion on the cuff rings though-I don't use them.

Poog

Plain old fashioned wetsuit cement works great for many suit types, though it would be helpful to know what brand suit you have.
AquaSeal has been known to make mischief down the road if you ever have to replace the cuffs again, there isn't a thinner available for "safely" removing any excess buildup. (gotta use sandpaper)
Right now Si Tech is in the process of cranking out some "XL" rings, as well as some in the smaller size range. I don't know how soon the "XL" are going to be released on the market though. (they may even be out now & I just haven't run across them)
The regular Viking/Si Tech bayonet rings have an ID of about 3-3/4"

I have a DUI CF 200 with latex seals. I had the seals replaced a month ago and yesterday the right wrist seal came off at the dive site. So I am going to replace the seal myself and was hoping to find a good quality contact cement.

The dryglove rings I have are 85mm and there is no way my hands fit through them.
The XL Si Tech sound perfect I'm just having trouble finding then.

Don't know if you can get these in the US but Bostik 2402 or Aqua 2 part contact adhesive are the only things to do the job properly. They're both 2 part glues. I believe Dunlop do a similar product. Aqua glue can be bought from Divers Warehouse

http://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/

Aquaseal and its stablemates aren't really good enough I'm afraid. Others will disagree but the only use I have for Aquaseal is for making glitter stick on home-made Christmas cards.

i use cold vulcanizing fluid same stuff you use to fix tubeless tires with
made by tip top
ask for a tube from your local tire garage
my question is if you are going to use dry rings
why use the glue at all
just sandwich latex seal and suit in collar works great
hope this helps

I'm still searching for a pair of rings that I can get my hands through. So for now I wanted to get the seal back on. I had not thought of sandwiching the suit with rings. The rings I currently have (don't fit over my hands anyway) use an o-ring to fasten on to the suit. The suit is fabric CF200 except where the seal attaches but if that is flexible enough it may be a good idea. I did try putting on a DUI zip seal today and I can get my hand through it because the thing is flexible. I just don't want to get raped on the price of buying them and having DUI install, and the $60 leak test.

I've used commercial adhesive from drysuit manufactures and it normally goes bad between changes. I think I'll experiment with some old seals and see what happens with the tire adhesive. I have also heard of the Bostik but have not found any around where I live. I'd like tobe able to walk into Lowe's or Home Depot and get something that will do the job as well or if not better than the high $$ stuff shops sell.

I'm really hoping to find a good set of rings that will fit and I can eliminate the seal completely. I have some paralysis and loss of use in my left hand and don't do well at manipulating the right hand seal. This is on top of my freakishly large hands and wrists.

The ring direct to the suit and cold inner tube adhesive are good ideas. Thanks guys.

jerrynuss:

Viking makes a two part glue for doing latex seals, and try Viking's dry rings. I've seen some big hands go through those rings.

I've got big hands and the only rings I've found that I can use are the old Viking rings. I haven't had any problem with Aquaseal and Cotol as an adhesive, except for having to sand the surface really well when replacing the seals.

Back
Top Bottom