LDS Recommendation for BP/W gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cairns

Registered
Reaction score
I want to buy my first BCD and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a shop that sells a good selection of BP/W stuff? I only have experience with jacket style BCDs, but I wanted to at least check out the competition before buying anything. I'm in the Orange County area. Thanks!

Skip the LDS and go straight to Tobin at DSS (you can send a PM to cool_hardware52 or go to the DSS subforum). He's local, makes great back plates and wings, and has fantastic customer service (don't know if there's anyone better....surely not anyone I've met). I know you're in OC, but Pasadena isn't that far away (I'm near Pasadena and go to Laguna quite often, in fact!).

I don't know many dive shops that stock much in the way of backplates and wings locally. I know Pacific Wilderness has a DSS bp/w, but I don't know if they will sell it (I hear it's been on display for years).

You will not regret choosing to go with a bp/w for your first BC. You might (or might not) regret going with a more traditional BC....but many of us ended up buying the wrong gear first only to buy the right gear later. If you can skip that step, you will save money!

Hollywood Divers has a pretty big selection.

IMO a backplate is a backplate and I suggest getting the cheapest one. If you're diving on a single tank, which I'm sure you are, then you'll want a weighted STA(single tank adapter) as well. Hammerhead Scuba has the best pricing I've seen, one of my buddies just bought a setup from them and he's happy. You'll pay a lot more for certain names and get the same exact thing everyone else is selling.

Best of luck!

Billy

I want to buy my first BCD and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a shop that sells a good selection of BP/W stuff? I only have experience with jacket style BCDs, but I wanted to at least check out the competition before buying anything. I'm in the Orange County area. Thanks!

Cairns,

There is a potentially bewildering array of BP&W options available today.

Stainless or lightweight plate?

Plate size?

Harness type?

Wing Capacity?

Wing "style"?

STA or Direct Mount?

I'd be happy to speak with you about your application. In a few minutes we can narrow the target.

Tobin

If a BP/W is your desire, give Tobin a call. His stuff is very high quality and he will take the time to get you fitted right.

Thanks for the suggestions! I just want the right setup that gives me the best freedom of movement, the most comfortable and easy to use. I'll visit Tobin in a couple weeks once I'm done with everything that's keeping me busy. I've read a lot of the BP/W debate threads and things get a little crazy here, don't turn this thread into one of those :wink:

I prefer Dive Rite plate's fitting to my back, but one is hard pressed to surpass Deep Sea Supply for quality gears. Check out the bungie mounts for compasses and computers while you're at it with Tobin. And don't let the black gears drive you off. Tobin had been known to make color wings on a case-by-case basis. I've seen everything from red to blue to, gasp!, pink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom