LDS VS Internet Sale!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will die if you buy gear from the internet. They don't sprinkle it with magic warranty fairy dust! Its all illegal copies made in a slave factory in western China, organized by the same people who faked the moon landing, are hiding the alien spacecraft from area 54 and shot JFK.

Why should I buy from LDS when the same thing is available on Scubatoys / Leisurepro for so much cheaper?

What is the difference between Warranty offered by the manufacturer and the one offered by Internet merchents?

Internet is cheaper because you're not paying for, or getting a lot of the services you get from the LDS, including advice and assistance selecting, fitting, and setting up what you buy. Every consumer should gauge the level of assistance they need and be prepared to pay for it.

In other words, if you have to ask this question, you have no business shopping online.

Internet is cheaper because you're not paying for, or getting a lot of the services you get from the LDS, including advice and assistance selecting, fitting, and setting up what you buy.

I thought that is why the LDS is there. Pick their brains, try the wetsuits on, use their BC's, handle and learn the computer functions then buy it from Leisurepro.
I don't see your point.

I think I will just sit back and watch this.

Phil Ellis

I agree completely, Phil. Deja vu all over again.

Internet is cheaper because you're not paying for, or getting a lot of the services you get from the LDS, including advice and assistance selecting, fitting, and setting up what you buy. Every consumer should gauge the level of assistance they need and be prepared to pay for it.

In other words, if you have to ask this question, you have no business shopping online.

Hmmm... so I am paying 40% more on regs. bcds etc to get advice from salesman trained to sell me more than what I really need. Who would assist me in buying stuff on which THEIR PROFIT margin is the highest.

Should I not turn to SCUBABOARD for advice and assistance? People posting here are consumers offering their advice and are more objective in what they say. No self versted interests here dont you think?

Why should I buy from LDS when the same thing is available on Scubatoys / Leisurepro for so much cheaper?

You shouldn't. You're a consumer so its your duty to get what you want as cheaply as possible. Retailers that pretend the internet doesnt exist will die and deserve to. Those that embrace it and adapt will survive.

....Where you gonna get air?..
I just bought a firewire connector so that I could get my internet fills faster. I was too cheap to get the Nitrox version, but I was told that it could be upgraded later. I told a few of my friends about it. They only have a USB 2.0 connector for their air fills. Then they told me I could be in trouble because the firewire connector will cause me to fill my tank too fast. Hot fills are no good. I think that they are just jealous.

I am still searching for the right connector (USB or firewire) to get the defog stuff for my mask.

What is the difference between Warranty offered by the manufacturer and the one offered by Internet merchents?

Pros and Cons of both please ...

Hi Hound, with 290 posts and being on SB for a few years I am sure you have seen this discussion before. Those of us who have BOTH a full dive center AND an online store will tell you that have the choice of where to buy. We just hope that you buy from us. That includes ME, Phil, Larry, Tobin, John, Mark and a few others. We have all invested in our operations so we can serve both our "local" customers and you our other "local" customers.

Just keep in mind that price is not always the prime reason for buying from someone. Ongoing service, knowing your name, helping you make the right choices, minimizing your returns, and getting good value are what the prime sellers here can help you with. Whether it's a $19.50 hose, or a $2,400 computer system, i'm pretty confident that we can help you get what you need. You still need a local shop as well. They are important for a lot of your equipment purchases, your "base of operations" air fills, local trips and trianing and your dive clubs.

Have fun!

Cheers
JDS

I think the 50-100% markup the LDS charges that gets billed as "service" or "advice/knowledge" is jus' a tad egregious...

I don' make alot of money... less than 30k a year... so cost is a major issue, rather than just shrug my shoulders and relegate myself to more plebian recreation I try to be an educated consumer and Educate myself Before I choose to spend any money (especially the kind of money we're talking about in the dive industry).

So when I go into my dive shop (or any store for that matter) I already have a pretty good idea what I'm going to be walking out with and therefore dont Want or Need the advice/knowledge thats apparently such a huge part of this guys cost (it isnt Really, the Real reason is that he simply doesnt have the Volume to compete but instead of just being up front/honest we get this "service" runaround).

So yeah maybe some guy right off the street that wakes up one day and decides "I wanna learn to dive" may need all the extra coddling, but I simply cant afford to pay for that level of "service".

Here's my $.02:
I don't like to be stared at from behind a counter while browsing gear, feeling pressured to buy something because I asked the $ of it, and then jabbed at because my cert agency isn't the one on his door. I can go online and compare, read specs, mostly unbiased reviews, etc before buying at what is nearly always considerably lower prices. Not to mention selection, which is better than 3 different BC models in two sizes for example. ON THE OTHER HAND, some things need to be sniffed, examined and tested in person before purchase. Some things can't wait a few days for delivery. Some things need to be filled with air which might include an impulse, (I need exactly that for this weekend dive!) buy. Sometimes it's good to get news about the local water hole, or where the deals are to get away somewhere. As far as warranty of goods, I suppose investigate each manufacturer policy before you buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom