LDS vs. Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learn more about the product from the online product description and a few product reviews then I do from the dive shop. Plus I can look at 50 regulators online instead of two or three at the lds. I wish my lds had an online store; I find it easier to study products on my own without being sold the product. Plus when they actually post the price and pay attention to the competitor's price we all win. The problem with most local shops are that they think there service is worth more then it is. Like I said earlier, i'd rather save 50% up front and buy my own service kits every two or three years.

Personally, I bought my snorkel gear along with my basic OW class from the LDS. Then I drove the 40 miles to ScubaToys and got an incredible deal from a very experienced and knowledgeable sales person. I was thoroughly impressed with ScubaToys, but at the same time I'm quite a fan of my LDS too. I'm planning on making the drive out to ScubaToys tomorrow in fact to get a 5mil wetsuit because they have a truly massive selection at great prices.

I'll be buying most, if not all, of my training classes from the LDS. I'll also be getting air fills, random accessories, and probably dive trips too from the LDS. They are great people and I definitely want to support them, but when my wife gets certified thru them next spring we'll probably head over to ScubaToys for the initial outfit. The reason here again comes back to price and massive selection.

I'm not sure but it seems I was told the LDS really doesn't make poop from air fills and little more from classes. And now organizations like PADI have gotten involved in the class or training program that I would imagine takes a little from the LDS as well. I imagine the LDS will be gone before too many more years pass and if your not close to a larger survivor it will be like Home Depot and Lowes having replaced most of the small hardware stores and the like. Just a thought, I'm sure someone here has some more current and accurate information on the subject.

Do most online stores have actual physical locations? I spent several of my younger years working for a specialty sports store. The owner kept it afloat by also having an online store.

In this day and age, it isn't that hard to build a web page and get your product out there worldwide. As was mentioned in several of the posts, LDSs offer alot that online stores cannot. they should focus on that rather than try to compete.

Personally, i will browse the internet if i'm looking for a specific piece of equipment. The mom and pop LDSs i've been to usually are limited in the brands that they carry. So i would rather find what I want rather than settle for what's available on the shelves. That being said, I do purchase several smaller items from my local shop, as well as tanks, classes, trips, rentals, and fills. It would suck if my local shop closed it's doors for good, but sometimes I need to take my business elsewhere to satisfy my needs and spare my bank account.

Furthermore, being fairly new to the sport I would rather get what I can for as little as I can, whether it's used equipment or closeout, knowing that in the future I'll want/need to upgrade as I figure out what my needs are.

Probably 10/ 12 years ago I could have sent you to 10 or perhaps more LDS type stores within 10 miles, maybe 15. Now there's one LDS and two maybe twice the size that has several stores and a couple of big block type stores. All the rest have called it quits. I'm sure an amount of it is just business trends but time will tell

I certainly got some grief for looking online for a better price. I thought I was clear stating I would prefer to support my LDS but the online price was quite attractive. And Oceanic said I was under no risk buying from the online vendor.

LDS:
Oceanic Probe BCD
Delta 4.1 FDX10 DVT
Alpha 8 Octopus
Pro Plus 2 Computer
Free Assembly
Free wheeled travel bag
Free pool session
Free parts for life
$2024.95

Authorized Online seller:
Oceanic Probe BCD
Delta 4.1 FDX10 DVT
Air XS Octo
Pro Plus 2 Computer
$1499.97

Throw in the fact that my wife needs gear too I'm looking at $1000+ savings. Peace.

So you went to your LDS and told them you looked online and got grief? They weren't willing to make an attempt to deal in price?

If the LDS shows some good faith and at least makes a reasonable counter offer, then maybe its worth working with your LDS.
New regs should be pressure tested and adjusted. You are more likely to keep up with maintenence if you have a relationship with the LDS. If something is faulty, you can usually substitute it for an item the LDS has in stock, while they send the gear to the manufacturer and deal with the warranty issue.
Con-Ed, refreshers, air fills, and and other intangibles all come along with a good LDS/client relationship.

On the other hand, for $1000 I would probably go with the online deal as well, but not before having the conversation with the LDS. If they lose a $1500 sale, plus potentially your wife's gear sale, then they have some screws loose.

I see this is many pages already so I would guess I am rehashing what someone has already said.....

Its hard for me to get my fills if I have to keep sending my tanks to ScubaToys or LPro...! I do compare prices from several LDS and Internet just to know where I stand price wise. If my LDS is way out of line and they are unwilling to budge then I go with the cheaper of the bunch as long as its above board... No gray market!

If my LDS is close and even though I pay taxes I will go with my LDS... For example, I was looking to buy a used pony setup and regs... He knew I look to buy used but he only ask that I give him a chance... I was looking at a 4 year old reg (Brut) for 150.00, my LDS is offering me a good enough price to go new! I will leave out the numbers cause my user name is pretty plain and a couple of shops in my area read this so...

I would rather buy local cause I like the shops in my area but if the price is to far off then I weigh the pros and cons of what I am buying...

I think the biggest factor is... If the shop is treating you right e.g. good prices, showing you how to fix this or that, providing you with information, treat you well; then you should do so in return... within reason!

lee

DayBob,

I was in the same boat as you... having to buy things twice! I just responded you your thread above without reading the 5 or so pages but this was my take on your situation.

I bought my regs, SR1's and computer, Wisdom2 from my initial LDS... Ran me a bucket of money and I had to do it twice like your self...! But I wanted both of these items to be top notch cause they are life support.

I was going with a bp/w and my wife a transpac so he gave me a price... I shopped around, internet included and found another shop down the road with really good prices. I gave the prices to my LDS but he could not come close enough for me not to buy down at the other shop. My shop did not sell enough Dive Rite stuff to get much of a discount and I understood that but I wanted him to understand that I had already spent a couple of thousands of dollars with him and I needed to save where I could...

He was either going to understand my situation and keep me as a customer or be hard headed and loose me as a customer!!!

My thoughts on this is to see what he can do on the regs and computer much as I did (if these are the regs and computer you really want) and if he/she is close enough, go with them and then price you bc and what ever else somewhere else...

lee

PS I would never buy a wet suit from my LDS... ever!

I certainly got some grief for looking online for a better price. I thought I was clear stating I would prefer to support my LDS but the online price was quite attractive. And Oceanic said I was under no risk buying from the online vendor.

LDS:
Oceanic Probe BCD
Delta 4.1 FDX10 DVT
Alpha 8 Octopus
Pro Plus 2 Computer
Free Assembly
Free wheeled travel bag
Free pool session
Free parts for life
$2024.95

Authorized Online seller:
Oceanic Probe BCD
Delta 4.1 FDX10 DVT
Air XS Octo
Pro Plus 2 Computer
$1499.97

Throw in the fact that my wife needs gear too I'm looking at $1000+ savings. Peace.

Speaking as an instructor on a budget here: buy the kit online, and feel free to use the savings to get more training. For the same price as buying the gear at the LDS you will become a better diver(training), and you will still support them, though not as much. $1000 will buy quite a bit of dive training, heck that'd probably cover the divemaster course if you haven't done it(I don't know what your LDS charges for it, my employer in cyprus charges €500).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom