Leaky BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Soaking my BCD after a recent dive I noticed a tiny air leak from one of the air bladders. Should I get it repaired before diving again? Is it something I can fix myself, or should I take it to my LDS?

Soaking my BCD after a recent dive I noticed a tiny air leak from one of the air bladders. Should I get it repaired before diving again? Is it something I can fix myself, or should I take it to my LDS?
Yes
No
Yes

What kind of BC? It may not be able to be repaired. Don't be surprised if the shop tries to talk you into a new one.

1.) Yes
2.) Possibly. Depends upon your expertise and the construction of the BCD. Many are simply bladders that are easily patched. Others are not so easy.
3.) If #2 doesn't work, then yes.

I had a leak in the old BC years ago which was on the back, so I didn't notice. Don't know how long it was there--a buddy noticed it. I used (I think) some of that Aqua Seal wetsuit repair stuff and it still holds (I think). Of course, most of my diving is to 30', so I may agree that you take it to an LDS for repair.

little leaks get bigger and you might have to rely on that BC to keep you alive. Have it fixed professionally (may not be possible}.
How old is it?

Why does it have a leak? If it is because the material of the bladder is getting old and brittle, then definitely time to replace and not patch.

It is a Cressi Aqua Ride that I bought used from a small dealer. It had been that dealer's personal BCD on a trip to Bonaire. It looks clean and new.

I have used it ten times, eight of which were on a recent trip to Key Largo, where I discovered the leak after my last dive. The leak is small enough that it probably wasn't noticeable during the dive. I don't think I brushed up against anything sharp during the dive.

I would take it back to the original dealer, but he lives near my summer home, about 200 miles from here.

I'd simply try hot glue for a pinhole.

It's impossible to tell you without seeing the leak in person. I've dove a leaky BC for months without an issue. Then I went to a BP&Wing and never dove that old BC again. I patched a wing with a tire patch once and it never failed me. In fact, I think it's still being used by the person who snagged it from me. The hot glue gun might very well work.

Here's the thing. The closer you are to a balanced rig, the less you'll notice a leak in your BC. You won't even notice it on the surface if the leak is low enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom