Leaky Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citabriapilot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've recently been having problems with my mask leaking water during dives. It passes the proper fit test (stays on face) and I don't recall having any issues when I first got it. Now it seems like I ALWAYS have to clear it every couple of minutes at depth. At first I thought it was my mask, but I've tried other divers masks and had the same problem. Tried tightening the straps and loosening the straps to no avail.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Same here, I'm on my third mask, and still need to clear every minute or so, something that became painfully obvious on video in my class last weekend. I'll have a new mask en route shortly, and have my fingers crossed.

If you haven't yet, try moving the strap up and down the back of your head - that will move the "pressure point" of the mask to your nose or forehead, you might find the perfect position where it no longer leaks.

While you're trying new masks, try performing the "fit test" while you have a regulator in your mouth, so you're testing the fit as it would be while you're actually diving. Also, if you wear a hood, it affects the fit as well, so try testing with the hood on (and make sure it's trimmed properly).

I've recently been having problems with my mask leaking water during dives. It passes the proper fit test (stays on face) and I don't recall having any issues when I first got it. Now it seems like I ALWAYS have to clear it every couple of minutes at depth. At first I thought it was my mask, but I've tried other divers masks and had the same problem. Tried tightening the straps and loosening the straps to no avail.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I had posted the same query and received a huge number of very helpful tips and suggestions. I suggest you search for the thread (you could use my name 'sourcearun' as the search term and locate my thread. Its got lots and lots of answers to the same problem.

I also recommend making sure all hair is out of mask, one single strand of hair can cause a leaky mask.

Sometimes I have leaks because I smile so much while diving.

I have had divers out with me get water in the nose area and with a small adjustment (moving mask a little lower so nose is not pushed upward) the leaks are solved.

I recently started diving with a Cressi Matrix mask. I love it, smile is no longer causing leaks.
Good luck.

Make sure you don't have the strap too tight. It only needs to be on fairly loosely - how loose have you been trying it on? My mask always leaks if I have it on too tight.

Otherwise as others have said it could have hair trapped in the seal or a hood. My mask leaks everytime I laugh or smile too. Now pictures of me have me looking pretty serious, or I am poking out my tongue :p

Maybe this has been said before--I have a beard and I've found the only way to keep my mask from leaking is to use a non-petroleum jelly on the skirt. It is available at most drug stores in small tubes-colorless, unscented and odorless.. I was told NOT to use petroleum jelly because it would degrade the silicone mask skirt.
Hope this helps you as much as it helped me.
Vann Evans

Do you exhale through your nose? I didn't know I did that for the longest time and always had a leaky mask issue (and a blown up hood...). It's a habit of mine, but when I consciously pay attention to my exhalation and make sure I'm doing it through my mouth, my mask leaks significantly less....like not at all.

Pay attention to your breathing next time out and see if that helps anything. If not, you'll have to do the great search for THE ONE (I found one that fits narrow faces really well if that happens to be your issue....check out the Riffe Viso).

Have you by chance gained or lossed any weight recently? Either can cause a change in the way a mask fits and seals.

Lots of people have that problem. Unfortunately, the internet can't help.

You'll have to have an actual human watch you underwater and see where the water is coming in and why.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom