Leaky Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may help. I worked in a dive shop and never had a mask I fitted and sold returned due to fit.

To test for a proper fit on a mask first do not worry about putting the strap over your head.
Then hold it up to your face and inhale gently through your nose and hold it. Remember it is not a suction cup, you should not have to move it around or squish it to get it on. There should be no air leaking.
The inner seal should not run through your eyebrows, a little toward the end is okay. It should be behind, not crossing your eye socket. It should make contact all the way around.
Your nose should fit comfortably in the pocket with out being squished.

My final suggestion is that if you find a mask that fits buy two. Hard to fit faces cannot always find a replacement easily.

One thing that often makes a difference is having a reg in your mouth. I am a big believer in having a mouthpiece in your mouth when you do the fit test. Some people have lines or creases in their faces that are not present when their mouth is fully closed. Consequently, if this is not done, the mask may pass the fit test out of the water, but leak as soon as they are in the water with a reg in their mouth.

If a mask seals on the surface, but not in the water under otherwise indentical conditions, it probably isn't the mask. Look for the variable.

Possibly errant hair, which you carfully clear from the skirt before diving, but might get caught if the mask is repositioned.

The most likely cause is exhaling into your mask. The mask seal depends on having slightly less pressure inside than the water pressure outside. Without this partial vacuum pressing the skirt down the mask will leak, also if you pressurize the mask by exhaling into it, the air will lift the skirt to escape and allow water to enter.

Another possibility is a slight leak around a lens, or at the frame. You don't notice it with the vacuum test on the surface since a bit of air seeping in is rapidly inhaled and won't be noticed.
Test the mask by filling a dishpan with soap water (baby shampoo if you have sensitive eyes)
Stick your face under and do the inhale/vacuum test. If the mask itself is leaking the soap bubbles will mark the spot.

Last edited:
. . . Unfortunately, the internet can't help.

Now that's kinda silly. I think your point is that one might need a second party to help find the leak--which is a good point. Now suppose the OP reads your message and gets a buddy to check is mask. Where did he get the idea? The internet, no? So in my opinion the internet can indeed help.

Cheers,
Doug

I had a similar problem.

The problem mask was the $29 EVO model which I selected because it accepted prescription lenses. The mask had a good seal on dry land, but always leaked in the water no matter what I did.

While in a dive shop which carried the EVO, I looked for another mask with this capability. There was the $49 Tusa Liberator which looked exactly like the EVO with the same capability to change lenses. Apparently, the same factory makes both masks.

I discussed the matter with one of the sales guys. Even though the masks "look" identical there is some microscopic difference with respect to the thickness and profile of the edge of the skirt. I decided to purchase the TUSA. At home, I removed the lenses from the EVO and put them in the TUSA.

Guess what? The TUSA works perfectly, no leaks whatsoever. Right after that, I bought an identical second mask and lenses for a backup. One thing I also discovered is that the same diopter measurement between two lens manufactures is also different.

Moral of the story, what looks to be exactly the same, may not be and the more expensive the mask, the more likely it is to function properly.

Because of facial hair, I had mask sealing issues until, about 15 years ago, when I discovered the original Tusa Liberator. That mask and its successor, the Liberator+ sealed very well. I tried a "same as" mask, which to my eyes seemed to be identical, but it did not seal the same. I have no idea why. Last night I transferred a pair (I have 3) of my prescription lenses to my newest Liberator+. I usually change masks after about 400 dives, because the skirts seem to stiffen slightly, and, while they will still seal, they do not do so as happily as when new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom