LED vs HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm,

I have yet to see an LED can light design that offered the package of reliability, light quantity, light quality, and focusability of the best HID (Salvo, Halcyon, Sartek) at a price point that is competitive. When someone can point me to that light, we might have something to discuss.

Current technology has LED at over 100 lumens/watt. That is equal to or better than HID. It's no longer the question as to which is better, HID or LED. The Question now is which light is better based on it's design (reflector, battery type, switch, size etc.) for a particular use.

LED is more rugged and reliable.

I own both a DR 10W HID canister light and their new LED - for night diving, the LED may be preferable to a fixed focus LED. It is not quite as bright, but it has a broader spot. For daytime diving where you use your light for signaling, it is inadequate. The beam is simply not tight enough/bright enough for signaling. It is a great back-up for cave/cavern diving given it's burn time and isn't a bad starter primary for cavern diving. I think that the LED is perfect as a travel light - no more lugging your big can light and charger to tropical destinations - just an almost 3-c cell sized flashlight that runs on AAs.

Jackie

Do you mean you own the new 500 Lumen LED or the 300 LED?

Hi all you get LED up to 60 W and the cost roughly a tenth of the price of HID they are gonna blow HID's out of the water literally speaking they don't break if you drop them they are in all aspects better the are gonna take over all lights soon

I finally put my 100 watt MR16 Diverite 2 section MLS "to bed" (had it for 14 years of Great Lakes tech diving) in favour of the Solus SU 1250 2nd Generation Can Light last October. I had not bothered with the HID lights as I was not impressed with the expense (and in some cases the fragile nature) of the replacement bulbs. I have not been disappointed. The beam is tighter and whiter than the MR16 and penetrated further in the water. I have been out with some buddies who have 10 watt HIDs and the Solus out performs them even on 1/2 power setting. Solus rates it at 1250 lumens and claims it is as bright as a 150 watt halogen or a 35 watt HID. I don't know if it is...but it is better than my 100 watt halogen was on an in-water comparison. In terms of the quality of workmanship and materials it is bullet proof.
Cheers,
Norman H.

I have been out with some buddies who have 10 watt HIDs and the Solus out performs them even on 1/2 power setting.

I would expect the Solus to outperform the weakest of the HIDs....

Solus rates it at 1250 lumens and claims it is as bright as a 150 watt halogen or a 35 watt HID.

Norman H.

Salvo rates it's 21w HID at 1500 lumens.
Salvo Supply - Havoc 5.2 Amp Li-Ion 21 Watt Remote HID

Salvo rates it's 35w light at 3000 lumens
Salvo Supply - Havoc 15.6 Amp Li-Ion 35 Watt Remote HID

Both focus down better than the Solus as well. So I don't know what Solus is talking about, but they do seem to make nice lights. I Just wish these companies wouldn't print grossly erroneous information.

the solus SU2500 is rated at 3000 lumens I believe but ratings mean very little in the dive world because there are many other things to consider (ie, particulate in the water, clarity, air to water interference, etc) The only way to accurately compare HID to LED is to get a 10W or 35W or whatever HID and the closest LED and compare side by side topside and underwater. Unless someone wants to go out and do some side by side testing with both lights we are gonna be left to argue for ever. I would be more than happy to compare lights but I am not gonna buy both just to try them out and I dont know of any company that will ship me a light to try, perhaps I am wrong. Ideally getting one of each Solus and Salvo in each catagory would be best, say 3W (backup), 10W, 35W.

I don't have a 35w handy, but I have my 21w. I could probably lay hands on a Solus for a day. Which one supposedly competes with the 21w HID?

The SU-500 is said to be a 21 HID equivalent, the SU-1250 a 35W HID equivalent, and the SU-2500 a 50W HID equivalent.

I just sent a letter to someone I know who tests scuba products from time to time and asked if they could get ahold of the solus lights to compare but I fear it wont happen as it has proved for me impossible to find a solus to try out. Knowone seems to rent them and I dont know anyone who owns one either. I even tried contacting the company for a test light with no reply.

I have been most interested in the SU-2500 because it can be turned down to a 21W for longer burn time if I dont need so much light bt I often find myself in low viz so the 50W is welcomed.

If you think you can compare I would be eager to hear results.

If you know where to rent one of these lights please let me know. Thanks

I couldn't test it scientifically, just empirically. And this really deserves to be done properly.

even if you could shut off the lights in a dark room and take some photos and do a dive with both lights and report on light penetration etc. it would be a good place to start.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom