Legends....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Essroc123

Reaction score
Hello all,

It has been some time since I posted here, I been doing a lot of lurking.

Got a question that I hope will stir up some debate.

What makes a legend a legend?

Here is what I am talking about...

Sheck Exley is considered a legend at least in the cave diving world. People have said that there will never be another.

The Cousteau's(sp?) could be considered legends.(depends on who you ask)

You know what I mean?

Sound off people!

I'd say, someone or something unique, that other people find intriguing and who stood out from the crowd. Often that would be the first person to attempt something for the first time.

Example, in freediving Pippin Ferreras is something of a legend..........

Legendary divers (folks who have contributed bona fida benefits to divers as a whole for reasons other than financial) would include:
Hans Hass
JC
Sheck Exley
Rob Palmer
Hal Watts
Tom Mount
Gary Gentile

And the list goes on...

This may seem to be a bit odd, but I would consider Lloyd Bridges to be a "legendary diver".

Why? Because he was the one who had such an impact regarding generating the interest in scuba diving to those of my generation.

FreeFloat:
I'd say, someone or something unique, that other people find intriguing and who stood out from the crowd. Often that would be the first person to attempt something for the first time.

Example, in freediving Pippin Ferreras is something of a legend..........
Jacques Mayol is a legend among the freediver too :wink:

aquaoren:
Jacques Mayol is a legend among the freediver too :wink:

I'm reading 'Shadow Divers' right now, EXCELLENT book, true story of the guys who found a German Sub off of New Jersey.

The book goes into the backgrounds of all the divers, very interesting.

Read about what these guys did, they're top of my list of legends. Until the next book I read :)

Matt.

Hi

I believe legends are those persons who have contributed to all society, I give thumbs up to the late Jaucque Cousteau who in his time dedicated his life to environmental issue's and developed the Cousteau society so that to this day it can continued to research and develop ways to improve global environmental damage to marine and human populated regions of the world. You don't earn the golden key to America buying doing nothing. I do not concider some one who came up with a new way to tie a knot on a line reel a legend, you need to earn that title.

http://www.cousteau.org/en/

Mr A

Sorry! Dave

I know there out there, but no name calling please. LOL

Rick

Being dumb enough to do something truly dumb twice, and good enough to survive both times.

Back
Top Bottom