leisurepro worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are they supposed to know if someone represents a product as authentic if it really is or not?

How are YOU, as a dive shop owner, supposed to know?

You can't, quite reasonably. It is simply unreasonable for you to verify the pedigree of every item that walks in your shop's door.

Now did SP have a beef with the manufacturer? ABSOLUTELY. Infringement of trade dress, copyright, and probably fraud on top of it.

But unless you can prove that LP knew they were getting counterfeit product and represented and/or sold it with knowledge that they were doing so, that's where it ends.

Second, you can't induce someone to violate an illegal agreement (an illegal contract is no contract at all); this is first-semester business school stuff. All the hand-waving about it by various industry "pundits" looks to be nothing more than a sop to the manufacturers advertising in rags printed on increasingly yellow paper.

As for their Scubapro regs sold today by LP, I KNOW they're not counterfeit because I've seen one ordered from them that had all manuals and accessories included. The hoses were original (they're rather distinctive on SP regs; those hose "ends" and the hose protectors are simply not available anywhere else), which is a DEAD giveaway if someone's playing games. The octo "clip", which is an SP patented item, was in the box. The manual was in the box. They were clearly unused and did not have a scratch on them.

I agree with buying through DiveInn (I bought a compass from them), but frankly, LP has a warranty too. Its a shop warranty, but so is DiveInns - and with LP you can mail them to a US location (with DiveInn you have to send them overseas.) For DiveInn you need to add 4.2% in customs duties for anything over $200 - pretty much the same as "sales tax"....

Scubapro will not typically permit registration of a warranty for any product purchased outside the US dealer network if you are a US resident, with very, very few and limited exceptions.

My complaint is that SP and most other manufacturers allegedly engage in price-fixing. In fact, I KNOW that one particular manufacturer has such constraints in their contracts, because I have a copy of one sitting on my desk.

The SRA was sued out of existence over this a few years ago, but it appears the manufacturers, instead of modifying their practices, simply do it directly now rather than through their "association." Hopefully the complaints I have sent to the FTC on this practice will engender another investigation, this time with real teeth, aimed at all the manufacturers and other parties who are complicit in this practice.

Its wrong and needs to stop.

But then why are these online shops allowed to sell real non-conterfeit products for so much cheaper?

I was at LP and the prices if you buy it in their store are the same, much cheaper than anywhere else.

Genesis,

I bought my reg at Sealevel Diving in Crystal Lake, IL www.sealeveldiving.com for their address and phone number. The Mk18UL first stage is no longer manufactured by SP, that is how I got it so cheap. The LDS had to get rid of it's inventory to make room for the MK25's.

Grunz - its simple. LP is buying overseas where there is real price competition from suppliers. Why? Because the EU will STOMP anyone who price-fixes almost instantly. The US tends to be slow and requires consumers to complain before anything happens. But when they wake up, they will go after people in this country. The former association for scuba retailers was put out of business by a lawsuit brought by the US DOJ over exactly these sorts of issues.

(Which, by the way, is why I've started a letter-writing campaign to wake them up!)

Jhns - discontinued products do not fall under SP's "no more than a 10% discount off list" policy. Current line products do. The Mk18 wasn't all that popular, and I hope you do know about the very real issues with the "UL" first stages and that LDS made you FULLY aware of the potential problems (aluminum is not a particularly good material to make high pressure gas handling devices out of.) If you dive exclusively in fresh water it may not matter; for me, the "UL" series is absolutely out of the question.

Look at the MK25/SP600 at LP, for example (current product). $375 or thereabouts. Add an R380 octo for another $110 and you're under $500 for the entire kit; you can have it at your door in 3-4 days for right around $500 including shipping. That's one of the best-breathing setups on the market.

Now price that kit at your LDS, and hang onto your butt when you do. That same regulator will price out at right near $700 for the base kit, and another $200 or so for the R380.

And, as I said, I've SEEN this kit ordered online. It was definitely original and "real"; I HAVE this kit (bought mine local), and know exactly what it looks - and breathes - like - down to the hose protectors and manuals.

It was all in the boxes.

I did a "simple" functional test for cracking pressure in my bathtub for this person, and it was almost identical to my kit, right out of the box. IP was within 2lbs. No leaks, no marks, serial numbers were intact. The serial numbers DID appear to indicate international product, but that's ok.

If the LDSs object to the "online" pricing, then order your SP regs from LP, mark them up however much you want, and sell them to customers. Offer them your own warranty (just as LP does). Let's be honest here - the warranty only covers parts anyway, and a "rebuild kit" for the SP seconds is all of $10 and roughly the same for the firsts. Further, if the customer doesn't have the reg serviced every year whether it needs it or not, or loses the PROOF that it was, then the parts warranty is void anyway.

Why do the LDS' support these policies, instead of raising cain with the FTC over this nonsense? A reasonable person might conclude that there is an active partnership in fixing these prices.... which leads to the obvious question - "is the LDS really trying to serve me as a customer, or conspire with the manufacturers to rip me off?"

If the latter, then any "trust" and "loyalty" that the local shop may think they have previously earned is absolutely and permanently null and void - at least in my book.

That is one of the BIGGEST things that pisses me off about this country. Sorry to rip on the US right before the anniversary of 9/11, but..

I'm really sick of big companies getting away with practices that are blatantly illegal, with the agencies that monitor then being fully aware of it and not doing anything, because not ebough consumers complain.

Just like the illegal charges that the FCC allows the phone companies to give us. Meanwhile God forbid anyone says the word penis on the air, they'll get right on their ass!

Why do we have to complain?

If it's illegal, do you f****** job and make them stop!

What illegal charges from the phone company? Sounds like you have a good lawsuit on your hands, unless you're pulling our chains.

grunzster once bubbled...
That is one of the BIGGEST things that pisses me off about this country. Sorry to rip on the US right before the anniversary of 9/11, but..

I'm really sick of big companies getting away with practices that are blatantly illegal, with the agencies that monitor then being fully aware of it and not doing anything, because not ebough consumers complain.

Just like the illegal charges that the FCC allows the phone companies to give us. Meanwhile God forbid anyone says the word penis on the air, they'll get right on their ass!

Why do we have to complain?

If it's illegal, do you f****** job and make them stop!

Genesis, et. al.: I emailed DiveInn and asked them about the manufacturer warranty and their dealership status. DiveInn replied that they are authorized dealers (so you should get that little plastic first-purchaser card from ScubaPro) and that they maintain a location in Florida in order to do warranty work w/o international shipping. I assume that since it is a genuine ScubaPro product sold by an authorized dealer to the first purchaser (me, in this case) that I could take it to any ScubaPro dealer I wanted for warranty work. Is this assumption incorrect?

-earl-

if the dealer name isn't on their list, then draw your own conclusions as to what they will think...

(DiveInn is not listed as a dealer. The only "Dive Inn" is a place in Michigan, which I assume isn't them...)

I would assume the warranty Dive Inn's equipment has is an "international" one and not valid in the US.

http://www.classactionamerica.com/cases/case.asp?cid=1473

Usually called the Universal Connectivity Charge. Just about every phone company is passing this charge on to their customers illegally. If you refuse to pay it they'll turn off your phone, also illegal. They're also charging us more than they're required to pay in the first place, so they're making a profit off of this!

I know someone who talked to the FCC. They agreed that all of this is illegal, but they won't do anything untill they get enough complaints!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom