Lets go diving , I have a boat in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your insurer won't cover you if you don't comply with all regulations.

Your insurer won't cover you if you don't comply with all regulations.
Yeah, there was a thread on that many years ago. Such as if someone goes on your boat and pays you for gas what are your liabilities should he be harmed? As well, what if he doesn't pay you?

In aviation, one can share the direct operating costs without being a commercial operation. I would assume marine law would be of similar nature? A profit can not be realized..

Basicially it boils down to this:

Inviting your friend on your boat for a day of diving and having your friend throw you some money when you pull up to the fuel dock without you asking? OK

Posting that you're taking your boat out but in order to step onboard you have to pay your share of the fuel? Not OK

Posting that you're heading out tomorrow morning and can take more people on your boat? OK

When the person gets to the dock telling them that they have to give you $50 for fuel? Not OK

In aviation, one can share the direct operating costs without being a commercial operation. I would assume marine law would be of similar nature? A profit can not be realized..
Interestingly, a few years ago the FAA decided that the aviation version of the OP's post is illegal as it's considered holding out. The common problem seems to be the come-one-come-all open invitation. FAA warns flight sharing services - AOPA

Share cost is perfectly fine. Soliciting costs are not.

Having my eyes opened a little here:
So, it seems (from what I read in this thread) that it is really different in on Water or in the Air private transportation from on the road private transportation. Ignore Uber vs. Taxis and such for the moment. Just good old ride sharing - with an expectation of cost sharing... (could be food for the carriage horse for all I know) That used to be OK -or? And still is - or? Even so those rides might be solicited on a ride share forum where it fully is the known expectation that costs are shared - or?
But not if on the water or in the air?Regulated so by actual regulation / law?

Last edited:
The coast guard recently defined the difference between passenger, passenger for hire, and person in addition to crew. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Share cost is ok, you and I and our wives go out on your boat and you don't expect anything, but I toss you a hundred bucks for fuel and pick up the air fills, then I am a passenger on your vessel, and a simple set of rules applies. If, however, you tell me how much my "share" is ahead of time, I become a passenger for hire, and all new rules come into effect.

These rules are easily found using terms I just gave you if you are further interested.

Back
Top Bottom