Let's see pictures of your home fill station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my setup the flywheel fan is on the wall side, but there is about 8 inches of space between the wall and the flywheel. The area around the compressor is pretty open as well as is the area in front where the air blows to.

Air circulation does not seem to be an issue and I try to run the compressor when it is relatively cool. Morning and evenings. I don't run it in the afternoon since the sun would be shining on the compressor with the garage door open at that time.

Good point though since cooling is very important to the life of any compressor...

Skippy31

I'm looking at the pictures and I noticed that people are putting their compressors with the flywheel/fans placed right next to the wall. I had mine set up like that but after about 200 hours I had to do a $2500 rebuild because I had a couple of stages burn out. My compressor guy said it was because I had the fan/flywheel too close (about 3 or 4 ") to the wall and this didn't allow adequate cooling air to circulate. For those of you with the fan close to the wall have you had any problems with getting adequate cooling?

I guess those with them close will find this out in about 200 hours. :D. (but a very good point you raise for me to remember if I ever get a home compressor).

I've seen some folks that put a large fan next to or above their compressor to blow air on it while it's operating.... I would think this would have to help some in keeping air cirulating around it. I'm assuming that a cooler running compressor is a happier compressor....

I've seen some folks that put a large fan next to or above their compressor to blow air on it while it's operating.... I would think this would have to help some in keeping air cirulating around it.

I actually had done that but the thing still cooked some heads anyway.

I'm assuming that a cooler running compressor is a happier compressor....

The cooler the better.

U S Divers Cyclone made by Luchard in France, 50 years old and still going strong.
3.5 cfm / 3000 psi.

Attachments

• Copy of DSC01438 (Small).JPG
    Copy of DSC01438 (Small).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 916
Hi, thought I would share my fill station with you guys - thanks for those who have already posted. This one is located in Canberra, Australia. If you are a Canberra based scubaboard member, feel free to say hi!

fill_room.JPG

A general shot of the fill room. The room is insualted on walls and ceiling with 75mm polystyrene. Makes for good thermal insulation, and also makes it almost sound proof. Keeps the neighbours happy! The room is pretty small, about 3.6*2.0 metres, but manages to fit all the things I need.

K14_compressor.JPG

The primary compressor is an electric driven bauer K14. I converted this from a 10HP three phase to a 4 HP single phase, and dropped the speed to about 700 RPM. This puts out about 6CFM up to 350 bar. Attached to the intake is an oxyhacker style nitrox stick. Filtration at the compressor through a single PAS9 filter (short stack). The grey panel in front of the compressor slides across to allow clear intake to the compressor - this is basically a hole in the wall, with a sliding cover to stop the rain. An extraction fan is located at head height behind the shelving to encorage air flow.

banks.JPG

Gas storage is provided by 6 banks, divided up as follows:
Bank 1: 68L, 280 bar, filled with EAN40 (approx 700 cf)
Bank 2: 68L, 280 bar, filled with EAN40 (approx 700 cf)
Bank 3: 50L, 414 bar (350 bar filled) with EAN 40 (approx 650 CF)
Bank 4: 68L, 280 bar, filled with air (approx 700 CF)
Bank 5: 50L, 414 bar (350 filled) with air (approx 650 CF)
Bank 6: 42L, 350 bar, filled with air (540 CF).
Total storage approx 2050 CF of EAN40, approx 1900 CF of air.
Note that there is usually a set of restraining straps around the banks, and that two hoses are missing. This is because I was re-arranging bits when taking these photos.

fill_panel.JPG

The fill panel, or nerve centre. Set up to regulate fills to 250 bar, with three fill whips. Two whips are standard, one runs through an additional two short stacks to provide air, or EAN40 for PP mixing. Only PP mix deco mixes, anything else is done with "dirty nitrox", mixing air and 40% as needed. Yes, I choose to fill in a water bath, and yes, it makes a significant difference for me. The fill panel has independant controls for each bank.

Utilis_petrol_compressor.JPG

I also have a smaller petrol powered compressor, a Bauer Utilis (U1) with a 5.5 hp honda engine. It spends most of its time as a support for other dive gear. It does get used for some remote trips though. The mixing stick is also visible in this photo - made from PVC piping.

cylinders.JPG

Dive cylinders - not much to say here, except that I never dive manifolds, and when diving in environments requiring redundancy, either dive independant doubles or side-mounts. Lets not get distracted with DIR flame wars please!

misc2.JPG

Miscelaneous dive spares, stages, compressor spares and camping gear. No wet gear comes into the compressor cave - all that is on racks on the room outside. Prefer to keep my babies away from salty water!

That pretty much sums up my fill station. It's been a work in progress, and has evolved over a number of years. However, at this stage, I can't see me adding or changing much more to the system.

Pics taken in my dive locker: Bauer Capitano, mixing stiks, O2 tanks, Kidde portable, O2 booster. No water bath, darn it.

Attachments

• 102_0276.JPG
    102_0276.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 102_0278.JPG
    102_0278.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 345
  • 102_0277_2.JPG
    102_0277_2.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 342
RIX SA-6E, Haskel AG-30 (O2 service), Oxyhacker blending stick (intake filter is a 9828K61 from McMaster-Carr). OxyCheq
analyzers (Expedition, Expedition-X, Expedition-He). P/P blending whip (45465 from Global Mfg) with PSI-Tronix digital gauge.

Two sets of steel doubles (Faber 95s and Faber 104s) now used to bank trimix diluent for my rebreather :14:

Attachments

• blending station.jpg
    blending station.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 356
  • blending stick.jpg
    blending stick.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 361
  • haskel.jpg
    haskel.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 305
  • rix.jpg
    rix.jpg