Let's talk cheap (or cheap-ish) in-town hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casa Mexicana and Vista del Mar are indeed possibilities for the days we'll spend in town (we'll likely spend the other days at Blue Angel), and some of the others as well, but I'm also sort of keeping notes for the below-the-Orbitz-radar gems--generally, we know where most of these hotels are and what the lobbies look like, but we haven't stayed in most of them). Of those so far mentioned, Suites Vima looks fairly sweet. I've also been looking into some of the B&Bs--I like a little charm and/or character when possible. Glad to hear Vista del Mar has refrigerators--water views and cold beverages are a good combo. Not a big fan of Hotel Cozumel (too big), and the Barracuda just never looks all that cared-for to me when I'm walking by.

As an aside, noisy AC can be a plus, depending on what else might be making a din.

So the local-local places include Mary Carmen (where we've stayed), Posada Edem, Suites Vima, Hotel Marques (some real bad Trip Advisor reviews), Pepita (possibly leaky), Caribe (I think I thought it was cute when we walked by last time), Amigo's (probably too much a hostel for us), Casona Real. I know there's the Hotel Aguilar and a few others as well.

Then there are the B&Bs (I would favor the ones on the water side of 20th) and moderate/cheap places like Bahia, Safari Inn, Plaza, etc. No one ever mentions Costa Brava, but I imagine that should be in the mix as well.

It's good hearing details and impressions from those who have stayed at some of these places.

anne-
i went to easy click and put in 7-14 aug. came up with suites bahia $41, casa mex $54.
Ever try Kayak? They usually give a good comparison of rates at various sites. Checking the same dates...
1.jpg 2.jpg

It's really a shame that one with all the info available on the net, and it's all there somewhere, that one cannot find a reputable site with a free, comprehensive list. :shakehead: A hotel has to play the games to make the Kayak list of course, and if you book a hotel thru any site - the hotel typically loses 30% I think. And I have read horror stories of the sites listing a property but then showing no availability when one tries to book it, even tho it really had plenty.

Suites Bahai does have a site, with one dead link after another - frustrating! I think I did get one to quote $46, but why would I want to book direct at $46 when I can book at a third party site for $39 easier?

It's OK for one night, but more than that, probably not. Too dingy, too rundown, too much deferred maintenance.
Haha, I booked a New Mexico hotel once that was rated 3 stars and quite a bargain. What a dump. It was for the huge balloon fiesta tho and I was stuck. Eh, I was alone so made do - then went home and thrashed their reviews and ratings - but still listed as 3 stars. At first glance you see 2 great reviews, but if you click to see the others - there is mine and another poor review.

Have you looked at VRBO.com? Not only do I save money, but I prefer staying in a rental property versus a hotel. Lobbies, concierge etc. don't interest me. The payoff is a well stocked kitchen and more room. You can filter your search by price. I just returned from a vacation after using VRBO on six different occasions. Never disappointed.

Have you looked at VRBO.com? Not only do I save money, but I prefer staying in a rental property versus a hotel. Lobbies, concierge etc. don't interest me. The payoff is a well stocked kitchen and more room. You can filter your search by price. I just returned from a vacation after using VRBO on six different occasions. Never disappointed.

I used VRBO for our trip coming up in May. We are staying in a one bedroom condo in residencies reef for 6 nights for only $649.00. Not too shabby, and they are very nice units, owned by individuals, not corporations.

Mediumone: I e-mailed your question to the Caribe with my bad Spanish and they responded in one day. Not bad for $59 +/-.

Si tenemos una habitacion con cama triple. El costo de habitacion $ 750. pesos. cuenta con aire acondicionado, tv. por cable, agua fria y caliente, refrigerador, internet, alberca y estacionamiento para sus vehiculos.

Translation:
Yes we have a triple bed room. The room cost $ 750 pesos. has air conditioning, tv. cable TV, hot and cold water, refrigerator, internet, pool and parking for their vehicles.

Yeah, I saw the the TA one. Google insists on showing results for Villas Caribe -- very frustrating. Here's the other one:

hotelcaribecozumel

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2013 at 10:20 AM ----------

, and the Barracuda just never looks all that cared-for to me when I'm walking by.

As an aside, noisy AC can be a plus, depending on what else might be making a din.

The Barracuda has such a great location but, IMHO, they have turned their waterfront pool area into a zoo. If you are spring break-type partier you will love it. Agree on the tired rooms. You're paying for that waterfront view.

Amigos changed to a hostel but they still have 1 private room. It's a steal if you can put up with the loud type AC: nice pool in a beautiful garden setting, your own kitchenette, big palapa, $45/night. On 7 between 25 and 30.

Don't forget Suites Colonial right downtown. Good reviews on TA and I've also talked to someone who stayed there and really liked it.

If recent TA reviews of El Marques are poor, I would give those more credence than my experience several years ado. Back around that time we also stayed at Costa Bravo. Not sure how well it has been maintained.

Mediumone: I e-mailed your question to the Caribe with my bad Spanish and they responded in one day. Not bad for $59 +/-.

Si tenemos una habitacion con cama triple. El costo de habitacion $ 750. pesos. cuenta con aire acondicionado, tv. por cable, agua fria y caliente, refrigerador, internet, alberca y estacionamiento para sus vehiculos.

Translation:
Yes we have a triple bed room. The room cost $ 750 pesos. has air conditioning, tv. cable TV, hot and cold water, refrigerator, internet, pool and parking for their vehicles.QUOTE]

Thank you so much. I can guarantee you, your bad Spanish is better than my worse Spanish.:dunce:

I have to use google translate and pray I am not insulting someone's mother. :eek:

Sometime I have google translate it back to me, and I am shocked. :silly:

ok ann, now that we have all given you our 2c worth you have to give us a report when you go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom