Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

There is a reason why SB has a category under dive count for "None - not certified". Probably one of the best ways our forum helps the dive industry is to provide a resource for people considering diving. Just like the tech and CCR forums aren't only useful to people who are already certified, but also are helpful for those considering it.

It has been said many times, but it bears repeating - someone from a specific group felt that a separate forum would be helpful for them, and others seem to agree. He is not asking for guarantees. I'm not sure why people who are not in that group feel so strongly that they have the insight and experience to tell them that they are wrong.
And some wonder why others may feel uncomfortable expressing anything but a positive opinion.

Its was my understanding that the op was looking for opinions on the subforum question. But it would seem the only correct response is in support since even neutral posts are viewed as biased.

And some wonder why others may feel uncomfortable expressing anything but a positive opinion.

Why, because I responded to your post and didn't agree with the implication that you need to be a diver to benefit from or contribute to this board? That makes you uncomfortable?

Its was my understanding that the op was looking for opinions on the subforum question.

Actually, the OP just asked for the creation of a new forum and explained why he wanted one. He didn't ask at all if we thought that it was OK.

Subsequent to that, a poll was added. While this was well intentioned, I don't actually agree that it should have been added to this particular discussion thread. But that's besides the point.

But it would seem the only correct response is in support since even neutral posts are viewed as biased.

Not sure what you mean by "correct" response - it's a discussion board. We discuss things. You post your opinion, I post mine. That seems a bit dramatic...

Its was my understanding that the op was looking for opinions on the subforum question. But it would seem the only correct response is in support since even neutral posts are viewed as biased.
People think the right answer is clearly [BP/W | Stab | Splits | Jets | Apeks | ScubaPro | Atomic | AquaLung | DeepStops | Shallow Stops ... ] and disagree with people having other options.

Yet you are affronted that such disagreement could occur here?? Am I missing something about that people may disagree on the issues?

Edit: And to ask people to backup their opinions with reasons. If you can not back up your opinion, how did you get it in the first place?

Last edited:
Why, because I responded to your post and didn't agree with the implication that you need to be a diver to benefit from or contribute to this board? That makes you uncomfortable?

Actually, the OP just asked for the creation of a new forum and explained why he wanted one. He didn't ask at all if we thought that it was OK.

Subsequent to that, a poll was added. While this was well intentioned, I don't actually agree that it should have been added to this particular discussion thread. But that's besides the point.

Not sure what you mean by "correct" response - it's a discussion board. We discuss things. You post your opinion, I post mine. That seems a bit dramatic...
Where did I say that he needed to be a diver?

I admit that I came late to the discussion but isn't the title of the thread a question. "Is there a need for a sub-forum?" I believe the points I made were directly related to this question. Perhaps it was only meant as a rethorical question.

People think the right answer is clearly [BP/W | Stab | Splits | Jets | Apeks | ScubaPro | Atomic | AquaLung | DeepStops | Shallow Stops ... ] and disagree with people having other options. Yet you are affronted that such disagreement could occur here?? Am I missing something about that people may disagree on the issues?
I am affronted when some label others because of the discussion.

Where did I say that he needed to be a diver?

"You have given us a lot of detail on your qualifications to discuss LGBTQIA issues but nothing about your diving and discriminations you have encountered related to your diving."

But I may have misread your intent there... apologies if so.

Even some the responses I've seen here to my original post have made me even more hesitant to engage in conversation or ask the questions I want to know.
Just MHO, but I'm quite certain that the negative reactions you've received come from a minority within the SB community. And your suggestion has been very positively received among the members of the mod corps. Our only issue is why we haven't thought about this before.

"You have given us a lot of detail on your qualifications to discuss LGBTQIA issues but nothing about your diving and discriminations you have encountered related to your diving."

But I may have misread your intent there... apologies if so.
No worries. :)

I asked because I thought it provided a needed context for the discussion. One that I at least had missed in the previous posts. We are after all a diving community.

I am affronted when some label others because of the discussion.
A valid point. Yet in the disagreements over BCs, fins, regs, deco procedures, etc, I'm sure there is a bit of at least implied labeling the other party as elitist, short sighted, dangerous, naive, gullible, etc. Yet other discussion has involved surface interval behavior where the labels might be boorish, rude, braggarts, etc. So social norms have been in play and expectations have been expressed before. People have different views of social expectations and norms. And different parts of communities evolve toward social expression of those social norms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom