Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

I don't think gender or sexuality really comes into most hobbies or past-times, apart from the social aspect side of things.

Oh yeah? What about stamp collecting? Or bee keeping?

Mods time to lock the thread. Any further replies are mere trolling.

Head on back to the Pub, nothing going on here other than some questions and answers. You want heteros to be understanding of LGBTQIA and yet you get your panties all waded up when a question is asked or a reply does not meet the exact standards that you think it should. Lighten up, Francis.

So far the only ones with their panties wadded up have been the likes of you and cpttightpants. I'm not even going to use the subforum but I don't have objections like you do.

So far the only ones with their panties wadded up have been the likes of you and cpttightpants. I'm not even going to use the subforum but I don't have objections like you do.

I have zero objections to the sub-forum and have stated as much, so not sure what planet you are on at the moment, but it isn't Earth. Once again, simple questions or a different opinion seems to be taboo. Don't ask the "tribe" for input and then whine when it is not EXACTLY what you want. As I said earlier, off to the Pub with you..

For the record, you can see my vote..

Capture.JPG

And I don't know the best way to find a safe mentor with whom I can trust my life considering the fact that I am gay.
I guess I know maybe 15 to 20 different instructors. Some I know very well and are close friends and some are more casual acquaintances. I don't know a single one that you couldn't trust your life with if you took lessons from them. They won't care that you are gay. As a matter of fact, I doubt it will ever come up unless you bring it up.
For me, at least, mentor ≠ instructor.

An instructor is someone I pay to teach me stuff. I don't pay a mentor (but I might well buy them a beer or two)

Cool. So far, the poll appears to indicate that 27 people anticipate benefiting from this new forum. It seems the forum will see lots of activity.

It is simple, put it right here and those that want to visit the section can and those that are just appalled (sarcasm) don't have to go there. TA DA!!

Capture.JPG

If any one wants to be accepted as equal (I don't understand why not) it is much wiser to integrate rather than to deliberately stand out. Every one is different. So what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom