Libra? Isla? DIva? Luna? Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klolson26:
Hemlon - Gotta ask - Did you buy the one ScubaToys is offering? Great deal, but they tell me that it's not all that attractive (though it's really about comfort, not style, I know). I was thinking about that purchase too, but I've never tried it and am hesitant to buy without trying...likes and dislikes that you have with it?

Thanks!

No, I didn't buy that one although I did see it when I was in their store in Dallas. I didn't think it was ugly, but beauty (or the lack thereof) is subjective.

Their website usually has very good pictures. Do they have one of this bc so that you can judge it for yourself?

Likes: It doesn't squeeze the stuffing out of me when its inflated. The weight pockets are easy to ditch. It has lots of D-rings.

Dislikes: It was sluggish twice to deflate on my last dives. This wasn't a problem most of the other time, so it was probably something that I was doing in error.

I tried on a Scupapro Glide Plus XS (I'm female 150 lbs, 5'7") and was duly impressed...I preferred it to the LadyHawk. I wish I could find a used one or one on line...I can't afford the hefty price tag.

I used to own a Diva and hated it. I now dive with a Halcyon backplate and wings. They are wonderful! Couldn't imagine diving with anything else.

chavella:
I tried on a Scupapro Glide Plus XS (I'm female 150 lbs, 5'7") and was duly impressed...I preferred it to the LadyHawk. I wish I could find a used one or one on line...I can't afford the hefty price tag.

I tried that one too, and I liked the fit as well. But not the price tag. After looking at a lot more, I ended up buying the Sherwood Luna. I've been on 12 dives with it so far in full suit, shorty and just a swim suit in fresh and salt water and I really love how it handles. It is very comfortable and can be adjusted to fit various sizes, with several clips and two pockets. I'm 5'7" and a size 16 with a rather large chest. I also have an hourglass figure with a short waist. I usually get a large/exlarge everything. The Isla felt too long even when I adjusted the straps and the chest strap on the Ladyhawk was too small. The cummerbund the Luna adjusts in or out about 3 inches, so I wear a Medium. It is a very good fit with plenty excess in the chest and shoulder straps. I can't say how much I really like this BC. Even when fully inflated, I don't get squeezed. It also has two tank straps. If you can find one to try on, I recomend that you do. Being patient can really pay off. Often when you buy equiptment, use it and decide you don't like it, you can't return it for something else. Be careful. Be patient. :wink:

I had a little bit of problems in my initial dives with my Diva LX. That was until I got the shoulder straps fixed so they were correct for my body. Before, it was pushing me forward at the surface when inflated, making my face be in the water more than I'd like. But now that I know how to adjust the shoulders, the vest fits a little further back on me and now I'm as happy as a clam on the surface :)

I have two female dive buddies. They both just bought Diva LX BCs. They both tried on the LadyHawk and didn't like the fit at all. They also both passed on the Libra and Diva QD models because they didn't feel as good as the Diva LX.

I've had the LadyHawk for almost a year now and vs. other BC's mentioned in the thread, I'd recommend it for a diver who is looking for the following qualities:
-non-bulky/streamlined (After having the LH I don't think I could ever go the way of something as bulky as the DIVA LX)
-Smaller 'thinner' chest and torso
-durability (premium quality)?

I really like it and bought it over the Genesis Athena (which is too geared to petite women). I can understand the 'fit' issue, and again would recommend it for women who have a smaller, perhaps more athletic build... (I'm 5'5 and 115lbs.). I have a size Small which I wear with a 7mm.

At first I was skeptical about buying a woman’s BC as I question the quality. If it was anything like shoes and clothes, the men’s stuff always seems to be of better quality and meant to last a lot longer (double stiched, etc.). After all, I had been using men’s BCs and everything worked fine. But I tried on several women’s models, including the LadyHawk, and all of the Diva models and I chose the Diva LX. This BC has a built in “sports bra” for lack of a better term that gives more support across the chest for carrying weight. It also has self-adjusting lumbar support that moves to where you need it most. I would say try both the LadyHawk and the Diva LX on and see which fits you better. Both are comparable quality. Only drawback of the Diva is having the big, white, glaring word “DIVA” on your BC. Oh well, I guess my buddies can pretend they're diving with Cher. :wink: Actually, I'll probably end up mounting my BC knife over it.

I've had some BC problem's too...I've tried the Luna and HATED it. I recommend the Athena from Sherwood. It's GREAT!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom