Libra? Isla? DIva? Luna? Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirltoo:
I've had some BC problem's too...I've tried the Luna and HATED it. I recommend the Athena from Sherwood. It's GREAT!!!!

Uh, something is a bit confused there... they are almost the same BC, except the Luna is more wrap around, and the Athena is more back inflate... but it's a Sherwood Luna, and a Genesis Athena. (Genesis and Sherwood are really sorta' the same - also own Akona bags...) We carry both - and they are both about $300 (although we have to show different prices on the web... rules you know - but we sell them for the same) and of the two, the Sherwood (Luna) is more popular in our store... But since eveyone is build a little different - maybe that's why some prefer one over the other.

I am contemplating the Halcyon...I was also thinking about the Libra and Ladyhawk. What is it about Halcyon's bp that is so great? I did my check outs with the backplate and my teacher lives and dies by that thing. I don't know what to do..my head is spinning trying to make this decision!!

CarBabe:
I used to own a Diva and hated it. I now dive with a Halcyon backplate and wings. They are wonderful! Couldn't imagine diving with anything else.

I tried the Diva LX and found the "hybrid" concept to be too much of a compromise. If you want a more "Tech" BC, then get one. I feel the hybrid gave too many of the bad aspects and not enough of the good ones. I felt it trapped air and was difficult to expel air in too many positions. I used to cave dive constantly and would hate this compromise. For rec diving, it was a pain. I allowed several other people try it and they had the same problem with trapped air. I switched to the QD and have had no problems at all. The QD wouldn't be my pick for "tech" situations due to lower lift capabilities.
Decide on what diving you are going to do and buy a style best suited. Beware of hybrid compromises.

BTW, the Diva QD is very comfortable and easy to use. The pockets are a little too small, however.

Thanks Allison. Really what I'm looking for is the most streamlined BC..that's what I liked about the tech bc's. I don't like all the bulky stuff that the regular bc's have to offer. I carry as little as possible!!

I rented my gear for the first 3 years I dove (only about 3-4 dives per year) trying to figure out what I wanted. I am recently getting back into diving on a regular basis. I bought my first BC, Regs, etc. two weeks ago.

I recommend the Libra. It is very comfortable, especially if you have a larger chest (38D). The only drawback I have noticed is that it does not have a cumberbund. However, after trying on alot of BCs, I found it to be the best fit. It does not have alot of gadgets. Everything is well with in reach.

Good luck

jrmcw:
I rented my gear for the first 3 years I dove (only about 3-4 dives per year) trying to figure out what I wanted. I am recently getting back into diving on a regular basis. I bought my first BC, Regs, etc. two weeks ago.

I recommend the Libra. It is very comfortable, especially if you have a larger chest (38D). The only drawback I have noticed is that it does not have a cumberbund. However, after trying on alot of BCs, I found it to be the best fit. It does not have alot of gadgets. Everything is well with in reach.

Good luck

Thanks!! I actually purchased my Libra yesterday!! I can't wait to get it in the water. I'll let you know what I think.

Hi Trish and Cathie...I'm a scuba newbie. Just got my cert the end of June and went to ft lauderdale on my first dive trip. I bought all my own equipment. I got the diva lx and love it. A woman that works at my LDS has one and she raved about it. I used it in Ft. Lauderdale and it was extremely comfortable. I feel that it is very adjustable for just about any woman. I felt very comfortable on top of the water...it didn't push me face down at all. I felt that I could rest very comfortable on my back. I think you'll really love the large pockets also. Let me know what you think.
I bought the Tital Aqua lung LX regulator...went all out and got the Suunto Cobra air integrated computer which I couldn't live without. We're going to Cabo, San Lucas July 19th. We'll talk soon. Safe diving!!!!!

Pam

I have had the Ladyhawk for about a year. I have had to learn how to distribute the weight so that the face in the water problem is solved but I really do like the fit and the lack of gadgets.

I bought my XS sherwood luna earlier this year and have used it in several warm water dives without a problem... full 3 or 5 mm suit with 8lbs wt. Fits well and is comfortable. HOWEVER, I finally started diving CA last month for AOW class and to do Catalina. 7 mm suit, hooded vest and between 16-22 lbs weight depending on my dive skin etc. It had no lift. My head was essentially underwater even at 16lbs. If you only plan to do warm water diving, it is a great BC. If you plan to do both, you should probably look for one with more lift.

DG

bsquyres:
I tried that one too, and I liked the fit as well. But not the price tag. After looking at a lot more, I ended up buying the Sherwood Luna. I've been on 12 dives with it so far in full suit, shorty and just a swim suit in fresh and salt water and I really love how it handles. It is very comfortable and can be adjusted to fit various sizes, with several clips and two pockets. I'm 5'7" and a size 16 with a rather large chest. I also have an hourglass figure with a short waist. I usually get a large/exlarge everything. The Isla felt too long even when I adjusted the straps and the chest strap on the Ladyhawk was too small. The cummerbund the Luna adjusts in or out about 3 inches, so I wear a Medium. It is a very good fit with plenty excess in the chest and shoulder straps. I can't say how much I really like this BC. Even when fully inflated, I don't get squeezed. It also has two tank straps. If you can find one to try on, I recomend that you do. Being patient can really pay off. Often when you buy equiptment, use it and decide you don't like it, you can't return it for something else. Be careful. Be patient. :wink:

scubagirltoo:
I've had some BC problem's too...I've tried the Luna and HATED it. I recommend the Athena from Sherwood. It's GREAT!!!!

I have the Athena also and have to agree. I just had my first dives in it this past weekend, both fresh and salt water. I found it very adjustable as far as getting a good fit. The integrated weights can't fall out accidently and the inflator was very responsive. This BC will get you perfectly horizontal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom