Libra? Isla? DIva? Luna? Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just purchased the Genesis Athena - a weight integrated BCD designed for women. I did a bunch of dives in the Bahamas with it, and I absolutely love the comfort and feel of it. And I am a huge fan now of weight-integrated BCDs, after seeing my dive buddy on the trip struggling 3 times with his weight belt. Also, Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine rated it among the top 5 BCDs for women. You may want to check out their recommendations. You can go there on-line, and under their "GEAR" section, check out their listings for "Best BCs for women."

ScubaGoddess1

bsquyres:
I am in the process of certifying right now, but my diver husband wants me to buy my own equipment. I agree and have just about everything...except the BC. I originally tried the Isla, but I'm really not sure. A female divemaster suggested the Luna for me (she uses one). I read all the posts and have found lots of good advice, but nothing on the Luna BC (Sherwood). Does anyone have an opinion about this one? :06:

And please, no offense intended, but...no BP/wing stuff... its been pretty well covered in other threads...

Mine is Sherwood Avid, and I love it... it fits me very well!

Well, since I'm the one who posted the first question in this thread, I think I should report back on my final choice of bc. I bought a Sherwood Luna and really, really like it. I just made 22 dives with it and have only thankfulness I was able to buy it. My previous gear had been rentals and I had no idea what a difference a well made and well fitting bc would make. I bought this on line from divers discount...without having tried one on...kind of risky, but the price was excellent and I had read good things about it. I paid $249.00 by bidding for it on ebay...no one else bid against me and that was thier reserve. They seem to have this item up for bid alot. The Luna is made by the same company that makes the Athena (Sherwood/Genesis), I saw one on my trip and didn't see too much difference. I think most of the major advertised women's bc's are good buys. I found a Dacor Elite (they now make the extremelle) for $250 at Scuba Toys.com. It had some fancy dump valve...which prohibits use of an integrated air octo (which I would like to use eventualy), but is very nice and retailed for over $500 at one time. Dive Booty.com is a good place to comparison shop. I know it's tough on the local dive shops to compete against on line sales, but that was the only way I could afford some of my recent purchases. Good luck and safe diving.

I'm glad you found a BC that you like! I recently purchased the Diva, but really wanted the Luna. In Canada the price between the two was too big for me to warrent getting the Luna. BC's made for women make such a difference, especially if you're built like a women (as I am). Happy diving with the Luna!

hey Rosie,
I have both a Ranger and a Diva LX.... re your comments on surface flotation.... try putting more weight in the small pockets located in the back. That should balance you when floating :) maria

Back
Top Bottom