Light "Commercial" Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fstbttms.... this is a guy that I would love to have a beer with after work on a friday night to shoot the s**t. Like tonight except I live in North Carolina. hmmm bummer.
Thanks for the love, brutha. My wife's brother lives in North Carolina. If we ever get out that way, I'll give you a holler. You ever get out this way, give me a holler and we'll dig into the 15 or 20 gallons I usually have on draught. I brew my own. :wink:

Thalassamania... probably not want to drink a beer with... because all this government regulation crap that I've been getting so sick of hearing about on the TV is a little much to read about on scubaboard. less regulation in my opinion.....
....but I probably would rather him do my taxes instead of fstbttms. am I right?
this is in no ways a slam on you Thalassamania. You have knowledge that many would like to have.

I would have to disagree! I would much rather get a beer with Thalassamania or DCBC. I figure the knowledge I could get from them for the mere cost of a bar tab would be well worth it! Especially when you consider I wouldn’t have to scroll through 95% of BS to get it.

Don’t be offended I just wanted to get in on the trolling!!! :cheers:

You guys have a better boating community then in the north east. I am shure the competition is a lot more out west then there is in the north east a lot of people pull there boats in the winter months. I will have to correct my self in saying I don't see anybody I know of using SSA most guys I see using it are working in the ship yards not marina work. I have seen a few try using a hookah set up but my self I am not brave enough to suck air from a garden hose hooked to a glorified sears compressor.

fstbttms you ever run in to problems with stray votage in any of you marina I had a few guys talk about it recently to me but never had to deal with it my self.

:wink:
I have seen a few try using a hookah set up but my self I am not brave enough to suck air from a garden hose hooked to a glorified sears compressor .
Every consumer-level hookah rig is based on a compressor that was designed to do something else, like spray paint or fill tires. This is true from the cheapest DIY hookah to the most expensive Brownie's rig. To my knowledge, there are no small compressors built specifically to supply breathing air. Most hull cleaners using SSA (myself included) use the Thomas 1020 and many commercially available hookahs are based on this compressor as well.

compressor.jpg

fstbttms you ever run in to problems with stray votage in any of you marina I had a few guys talk about it recently to me but never had to deal with it my self.
Assuming you are talking about stray current as a personal safety issue, I have never had a problem with it, nor have I ever heard anecdotally of anybody I know having a problem. Actualy, I take that back; I was speaking at meeting of marine surveyors last month and one of the other divers there did talk about appproaching a boat once, and when his eyeballs started to vibrate, he decided to get out of the water. :wink: But it's generally more of a concern in freshwater, I think.

Actually I have run into that once myself and had a couple of other divers mention it as well. In my case it was a boat on shore power with no ground, and one of the other cases was bad dock wiring. (Again open ground.) Just tickles a little, but really hard on the running gear.

Is a beer summit in the works?

0730_obama_89523493.jpg

Thalassamania... probably not want to drink a beer with... because all this government regulation crap that I've been getting so sick of hearing about on the TV is a little much to read about on scubaboard. less regulation in my opinion.....
....but I probably would rather him do my taxes instead of fstbttms. am I right?
this is in no ways a slam on you Thalassamania. You have knowledge that many would like to have.

Just so we are clear:

• I am the one who worked along side of Jay Wentzel (a fellow instructor and Washington D.C. based attorney) to make sure that recreational instructors were exempted at the start from the OSHA commercial diving standards.
  • I am the one who spent a decade of his life working almost full time to help my segment of the diving world obtain an exemption from governmental regulations.
  • Fstbttms is the one who seems to prefer to pretend that the regulations don't exist or to "fight" them by ignoring them, by pretending that regulations he doesn't like don't apply and don't set the legal standard of the community if there were to be an incident.
Beer summit is at Kona Brewing Company, 75-5629 Kuakini Hwy., Old Industrial Park, Kailua-Kona. "Pipeline Porter" and "Da Grind Buzz Kona Coffee Stout" will be the brews of choice.

fstbttms I use the dive boss compressor package built by divers supply of Gretna Louisiana. This compressor is the Devair 255 which puts out 17 cfm at 175 psi and has a 2 stage filter system with a volume tank. I use this because i dive with the EXO-26 or my KM47 hat and i like to keep my cfm out put with in safe standards for proper operation of this type of equipment per Kirby morgan. i know i may be a little over board with the equipment that I use but I also do a lot more then just boat cleaning. Some of my salvage job require operating at some deeper depths then marina work. i have tried the brownies rig and was working so hard i out breathed the compressor with my exo mask plus I really don't like the hoses they come with they kink easy.
Thanks for the info on the stray voltage i have also heard they have more problems with this in fresh water marinas then salt.

My guess is the problem is about the same, but in fresh water a diver that has the misfortune to encounter it is actually completing the loop. OUCH!

Back
Top Bottom