Light "Commercial" Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being forced to respond in a non-OSHA approved fashion to a very foreseeable emergency is not going to fly very well, that'd be seen as simply poor planing.

But the real point would not be that a breach in OSHA regulations caused the death of the standby diver, it would be that the entire operation was ill conceived and ill conducted from the get-go.

Thalassamania:
I never said I dont try to fallow the standards I do that is for my personal saftey. Right from the OSHA standard: For surface-supplied air diving that is 100 feet or less and does not involve planned decompression, a standby diver is not a specified requirement for every dive. My company policy is no SSA dives below 80ft and all non-deco so I really don't even a stand by diver but I do for my saftey. There is nothing in any of the standards that says they need to be on SSA in order for them to be a standby divers.

All the guys that work on my team are SDI/ERDI (not SSI Sorry) trained for diver rescue and also public safety divers. So I am not to concerned with them F#&kin up the are very familiar with the scuba diving system and how to use it and diving emergency mitigation. The guys I work with are all familiar with the SSA system but they do not have extensive training it and I would not what them operating in SSA mode. They all have trained in assisting me in emergency like entanglement of my umbilical and removal of my hat and going on to buddy breathing, attaching a standby umbillical. having a ADC card dose not make some one the all god of diving. I feel safe with the guys I work with and they feel safe with me.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is that your feeling safe and them feeling safe is not worth much when the plantiff's attorney says, "SSI Rescue diver eh? Is that a recreational diving or a professional diving rank? I mean ... is it recognized by OSHA as an appropriate credential that readies a diver to risk his life in a commercial diving operation? After all ... we've heard from several experts earlier that had he gone through commercial diving training, like that recognized by the Association of Diving Contractors and OSHA he might well be alive today.

Thalassamania Sorry had to correct my last post but I ment SDI they are all SDI/ERDI trained. These guys have extensive experence in rescue diving.

That's still just a recreational credential (at least in the eyes of any court).

sorry man SDI/ERDI Is not a recreational standard this professional course was developed for fire and police department around the country for emergency public safety diving if you consider it a recreational standard then every fire and police diver trained by them could be sued every time a rescue was unsuccessful full. I am 110% that OSHA would except that also.

I understand what it is, and the their website bumph proclaims that, "All ERDI programs are OSHA and NFPA compliant." (an interesting concept since public safety divers are exempted from Fed OSHA requirements).

But you are not understanding the issue, OSHA is irrelevant ... the worse thing that they will do is a rather small fine, and likely not even that if you promise to behave in the future, the problem is the trial court. Recreational, or ERDS, or PSD, it's not an ADC or OSHA approved or recognized ticket. It doesn't really matter what you or I think, or feel, or agree to ... it ain't gonna fly and I wouldn't risk it.

:thumb::thumb:
Thalassamania:
I never said I dont try to fallow the standards I do that is for my personal saftey. Right from the OSHA standard: For surface-supplied air diving that is 100 feet or less and does not involve planned decompression, a standby diver is not a specified requirement for every dive.
Thank you. :yelclap:

Public saftey divers are not exempt from state OSHA standards if there state has them which most states do. Also in fed standard there is alot of gray area in to what can be consideded appropriate levels of training I dose state a C card from ADCI is exceptable but it all so allows provisions for company trained divers, ex military divers and divers trained from diving schools. The OSHA standard dose have an outline of what type training curriculum that needs to be covered and most is covered in a basic advanced PADI openwater class (SCUBA ONLY) but I would not consider that enuff training to be working diver. In a court of law you are trying to explain this to a jury or judge. You could have divers will all the C cards in the world from every agency and still lose. There are alot of marine construction companies out there that do not have divers with ADC cards because of the company trained clause in the standard. I know if you are doing any off shore work by law you half to fallow the coast guard standard. I am not an off shore company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom