Light "Commercial" Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so we are clear:
Fstbttms is the one who seems to prefer to pretend that the regulations don't exist or to "fight" them by ignoring them, by pretending that regulations he doesn't like don't apply and don't set the legal standard of the community if there were to be an incident.
Just so we are clear:
I never said any of what you claim my position is. What I said was; in the real world, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of divers doing light commercial work every day in this country with no regard for any allegedly applicable OSHA regulations. Further, there is no enforcement of those regulations, even if they are applicable. Therefore, I suggested the OP go ahead and do what many of us do every single day and have for decades; go to work. I make no claim for the wisdom in ignoring these allegedly applicable OSHA standards, just that ignoring them is the way business gets done in the marina.

What y'all who work every day with no regard for OSHA regulations, or feel exempt because you fail to meet the size of workplace test, or some other detail, fail to realize is the OSHA fine is small potatoes, and if they actually catch you (improbable) and threaten to fine you (minuscule), you will likely escape even the fine if you promise to mend your ways, but the problem is the civil liability that you will incur if someone is hurt. Say one of your "independent contractors" drowns. The family sues you. The veil of "independent contractor" will be pierced in a flash, your lack of adherence to the "standard of practice in the community" will be seen by the court (and especially the jury of non-divers) as no meeting the OSHA specification, which sill be be the prima facia safety standard that will be held up; so you start off having to prove that you are not reckless. You damned better hope that you are incorporated and not personally liable, and that your insurance company put it in writing that you did not need to meet state and federal safety rules because they usually say, somewhere in the fine print, that if you are wanton, or reckless, or some such, that you're not covered.

I strongly advice caution in these matters.

It sounds like you have enough qualifications with the ships husbandry, and ni-trox training. ships husbandry should have taught you enough about suctions, discharges, rotating screws, etc. to be very careful around these. If nobody is onboard at the time everything should be off. If there are people onboard take precautions, and turn things off. There is always a better piece of gear to wear, and all depending on the size of the boat you are no deeper than 10' maybe. Visibility would be your biggest concern for taking pictures. There are cameras in drug stores for pics underwater to 15'. If you already have any kind of underwater camera get in the water and take the pictures. If you have been a surveyor for some time you know what you are looking for.

Navy

In canada and the us, any dive that has an overhead enviroment has to be done with a hard hat. My commercial diving courses to Surface supply level cost me $15,000 can, my drysuit cost was $2200 can, if I was to add up the total cost of my commercial certification it would probably be $20,000 can, in canada WCB requires a three man team to dive any commercial jobs. A diver, a standby diver/tender, and a supervisor. Yes, it cost about $1000 per day to hire a three man team, but think of the cost of all that training and equipment. If you are the owner of the boat, then dive it yourself, or you can get someone to dive it for you, but if anything happens to them, then you will lose everything that you have in the court system, so beware of who you are hiring. I hope this was helpful.

J

It sounds like you have enough qualifications with the ships husbandry, and ni-trox training. ships husbandry should have taught you enough about suctions, discharges, rotating screws, etc. to be very careful around these. If nobody is onboard at the time everything should be off. If there are people onboard take precautions, and turn things off. There is always a better piece of gear to wear, and all depending on the size of the boat you are no deeper than 10' maybe. Visibility would be your biggest concern for taking pictures. There are cameras in drug stores for pics underwater to 15'. If you already have any kind of underwater camera get in the water and take the pictures. If you have been a surveyor for some time you know what you are looking for.

Navy

5000 plus dives and you are telling him that its ok to break the rules. I report anyone I see breaking the rules and taking my jobs to WCB, and in canada, they can be there before the dive is over, and the fine can be very large.

In canada and the us, any dive that has an overhead enviroment has to be done with a hard hat. My commercial diving courses to Surface supply level cost me $15,000 can, my drysuit cost was $2200 can, if I was to add up the total cost of my commercial certification it would probably be $20,000 can, in canada WCB requires a three man team to dive any commercial jobs. A diver, a standby diver/tender, and a supervisor. Yes, it cost about $1000 per day to hire a three man team, but think of the cost of all that training and equipment. If you are the owner of the boat, then dive it yourself, or you can get someone to dive it for you, but if anything happens to them, then you will lose everything that you have in the court system, so beware of who you are hiring. I hope this was helpful.

J

I ice dive and dont wear a hard hat. OSHA isnt able to tell me what I can and can not do because I am not a commerical diver.

I ice dive and dont wear a hard hat. OSHA isnt able to tell me what I can and can not do because I am not a commerical diver.

Are you saying you do work for pay under ice, or are you saying you dive under ice for recreation?

OSHA has a very detailed standard to explain safety requirements for any commercial diving. OSHA also has a clause witch cover any consider industry standards. Which means if osha dose not write it down if an organization like ADC puts it down you can be fined under the industry standard regulations (that also can apply in a court). I know for a fact that the osha standard dose not apply to recreational diving and scuba instructors. Also osha standards do not apply for a company that employ less then ten employees in certain industries (you need to read the laws) also if you are self employed you do not half to fallow OSHA. With that said you still at least need try to maintain a safe work environment for your employees and yourself.

I am the only diver ever in the water in my company but I still have 2 scuba trained rescue divers (ssi trained) who have also been train as surface supplied tenders and gas conisole operators (company Trained) working with me when I am using SSA. Both can be standby divers for rescue purposes only. I do not do any confined space or entry out of the light zone work. I do this for my own protection since I am the only person in the water and I own the company I will be hard for me to sue my self. This is how I operate because this is just my part time job if some one dose not like it then I am sorry.
One thing that I highly recoment is to make sure you have insurance to cover any accidental damages to the boats you are working on. Also incorporate so you cant be sued personally.

Everything you say is true ... to a point. Permit me to give you a scenario:

You get in trouble in such a way that requires your SSI-certified standby diver to enter the water. Your standby diver does something stupid, but understandable, in the excitement of the moment; he enters the water with his air off, his BC empty and too much weight and he drowns. There is not likely to be an OSHA fine, but your non-compliance with OSHA requirements (as the prima facia Standard of Practice) will be central to the wrongful death suit that will ensue, and it is likely that you will lose badly.

Nope, OSHA regulations have a clause that they do not apply in an emergency situation in an attempt to save a life.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom