Question Light for night macros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P

pansbjorne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Been greatly enjoying macro mode on my TG-6. There were so many awesome critters at night but the base flash didn't really seem to get the job done.

Any recommendations for a first light to pick up? Should I even consider video lights or just stick with strobe?

Been greatly enjoying macro mode on my TG-6. There were so many awesome critters at night but the base flash didn't really seem to get the job done. Any recommendations for a first light to pick up? Should I even consider video lights or just stick with strobe?
Been greatly enjoying macro mode on my TG-6. There were so many awesome critters at night but the base flash didn't really seem to get the job done. Any recommendations for a first light to pick up? Should I even consider video lights or just stick with strobe?

Here is a pretty good all-round macro/video light, also won't break the bank 👍

Here is a pretty good all-round macro/video light, also won't break the bank 👍

Definitely more budget friendly. Is there a way to attach it to the camera and is this any different than your typical dive torch?

Try the BackScatter MiniStrobe
Yes, the MF-1 (original, with 18650 battery) or the MF-2 9with 21700 battery).
Forget vido lights; all he small critters run away with a constant-on light.

Definitely more budget friendly. Is there a way to attach it to the camera and is this any different than your typical dive torch?
yes, it comes with a standard-sized ball joint that screws directly into the light.
And yes, compared to the typical dive torches the beam angle of the light is much wider I believe 70 degrees compared to typical 20ish. This means it doesn't punch through the water like a normal light, but it gives a much softer light spread, which is what you need for any type of photography/videography, especially macro.

I use two Big Blue VL4200P video lights. I like to take macro video and photo's. I am happy with my photo's and video.
DIY tray and my old Go Pro in the dry port. Sometimes my video lights on lowest power setting enough for the camera to focus but then it uses the flash as set on Auto.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom