Like a kid with candy, internet prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Central Fla

Contributor
Reaction score
I have read posts for a long time and don't remember writing much, I haven't had a tremendous number of dives but I am getting my gear together piece by piece and I am down to the regulator. I have studied, read, watched, listened and everything else trying to learn which regulator is right for me.

I continously hear shops and manufactureres exclaim, don't buy over the internet!!! The price quoted on this one reg on ebay right now (GT3 & CDx5 with enviro kit) for $189 new. I can't stop looking at it. How do I not look at something like this? My question is, if they are not suppose to sell it, how do they get it, do the manufacturers still sell to them?

This is not meant to anger anyone, I am just saying that if I can purchase this minus the warranty because I bought it at the wrong place, I feel it to be a possible candidate. The feedback on this particular entity is perfect, I am inclined to think that it is not going to come apart and fall into my lungs on the first dive, but then again, if it isn't a real, new, Oceanic GT3 it just might do that. They do state that they "open the box to inspect before shipping".

So there is my problem, I just can't help but to consider that reg at that price. Looks like a GT3, what else could it be, a fake copy, broken, maybe a returned item ?

Thank you for your help.
Central Fla

Where are you in central florida? I bought a used reg locally, but that was a stroke of luck: weeks of checking craigslist hadn't shown anything but the one day... anyways, very old reg, $20. Both stages. No octo. Cost $97 to have serviced and completely overhauled, which put total price at around $120. I could have paid just a little more and gotten a brand new reg. I like the one I've got though, and anything I bought would have needed servicing sometime. This way, I know I have a very good,safe reg that is setup very well. If you buy something used, I would reccomend having it serviced almost regardless. There are several people here who sell things used, I'd be more apt to trust a SB member than any random eBayer. Someone here has a DIN first stage for $50 I think. You could piece together a rig based on that, but it is DIN and you probably dive yoke.

So there is my problem, I just can't help but to consider that reg at that price

Lets assume the regulator on EBAY is new in the box and not used. (big assumption). could be used once, etc. You never know.

doesn't Oceanic have "free parts for life? (I'm not sure of this) If you buy it from an "unauthorized source" then you most likely will have to pay for parts at any service. Figure that to cost you an extra $60 per year for a 1st stage and two 2nd stages. (primary and octo).

Also, if you buy the regulator from an authorized dealer, you get a free Oceanic wetsuit.

see http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_regulators_gt3.html and http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/promo_wetsuitmania.html

One last advantage of buying it new. Oceanic has a "upgrade" program. If you trade in an old regulator, you can get an 'instant cash' towards the purchase of a new regulator. http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/services_upgrades.html

Just something to consider.

JahJahwarrior:
Where are you in central florida? I bought a used reg locally, but that was a stroke of luck: weeks of checking craigslist hadn't shown anything but the one day... anyways, very old reg, $20. Both stages. No octo. Cost $97 to have serviced and completely overhauled, which put total price at around $120. I could have paid just a little more and gotten a brand new reg.

$20 more and you could have bought a brand new Mares from Leisurepro.

Here is the Oceanic take on this. We have moved to all our regulators having DVT, units without were closed out to our dealers, they are free to charge whatever they want for them.

Our dealers who are authorized internet dealers are permitted to sell on ebay, provided they follow some rules(like saying they are an authorized dealer and in this case stating that the regulator is in fact a discontinued model)

The ALLIANCE program is offered by our authorized dealers that participate and consists of free service parts for life provided the owner follows the recommended service/maintenance schedule.

Most of our authorized internet dealers are also alliance dealers, you "should" be able to get the alliance booklet.

We just aren't like other manufactors....Thank goodness!

email the ebay seller and ask if they are in fact a Oceanic Dealer and offer the allaince program, if not skip that reg. PM me and I can direct you to a local Oceanic dealer that will take care of you(and have a great price as well) and if you REALLY want to buy online I can recommend many of our dealers. This is a reg you can get for a song right now, it's much better if you can get all the possible benefits as well(LDS support, manuf warranty, free parts, etc.) In fact why don't you do that anyway and skip ebay?

Best,

Chris

The replies from oceanic on this website are the #1 reason I am going to buy oceanic, It takes time and I would imagine some occasional rubbing from people (perhaps like me) to have one on one communications. Your reply as well as the other SB members is invaluable. I do support my local dive shop but sometimes it is neccessary to shop around. the info on this GT3 also stated the following,

"Oceanic GT3 CDX5 Diaphragm Scuba Regulator w/Enviro Kit
Brand New with *MANUFACTUER* Warranty Item number: 110032245559"

I am going to take the risk that this is reputable and purchase it.

Thank you all
Central Fla

Central Fla:
The replies from oceanic on this website are the #1 reason I am going to buy oceanic, It takes time and I would imagine some occasional rubbing from people (perhaps like me) to have one on one communications. Your reply as well as the other SB members is invaluable. I do support my local dive shop but sometimes it is neccessary to shop around. the info on this GT3 also stated the following,

"Oceanic GT3 CDX5 Diaphragm Scuba Regulator w/Enviro Kit
Brand New with *MANUFACTUER* Warranty Item number: 110032245559"

I am going to take the risk that this is reputable and purchase it.

Thank you all
Central Fla

Let us know how you like it! Thanks for the trust.

JahJahwarrior:
Where are you in central florida? I bought a used reg locally, but that was a stroke of luck: weeks of checking grisliest hadn't shown anything but the one day... anyways, very old reg, $20. Both stages. No octo. Cost $97 to have serviced and completely overhauled, which put total price at around $120. I could have paid just a little more and gotten a brand new reg. I like the one I've got though, and anything I bought would have needed servicing sometime. This way, I know I have a very good,safe reg that is setup very well. If you buy something used, I would reccomend having it serviced almost regardless. There are several people here who sell things used, I'd be more apt to trust a SB member than any random eBayer. Someone here has a DIN first stage for $50 I think. You could piece together a rig based on that, but it is DIN and you probably dive yoke.

I got a beautiful DX2/Delta2 with the retrofit on eBay for $55 bucks! I use it on my pony.

Just remember 2 words when considering dive gear like regs "LIFE SUPPORT", Price should be considered but not the main factor in choosing this type of gear.

scubacowboy:
Just remember 2 words when considering dive gear like regs "LIFE SUPPORT", Price should be considered but not the main factor in choosing this type of gear.

You could apply that analogy to just about anything that is not taken care of. Autos motorcycles, planes.. Buy a 1987 Buick for 500 and die on I-95 when the ball joints give out because the PO did not know about grease.

Properly maintained and serviced there is nothing wrong with 2dn hand equipment. Especially if you don't have 3,000 bucks for new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom