List your yak and it's pros/cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sh@rkW@tcher

supreme yak diver in charge
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
If everyone listed their kayak make/model along with it's pros and cons it might help others looking to buy a yak for diving. Maybe Colin will even make a sticky out of it.

I have the Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15 in Yum Yum Yellow.
LENGTH 15' 7.5" / 4.8 m
WIDTH 29" / 73.7 cm
SEAT WIDTH 17" / 43.2 cm
WEIGHT 60 lbs / 27.2 kg
MAX CAPACITY 500-550 lbs /
226.8 - 249.5 kg
SUGGESTED RETAIL $1099.00

The 13' Yak is
LENGTH 13' 4" / 4.1 m
WIDTH 28" / 71.1 cm
SEAT WIDTH 17" / 43.2 cm
WEIGHT 54 lbs / 24.5 kg
MAX CAPACITY 400-450 lbs /
181.4 - 204.1 kg
SUGGESTED RETAIL $799 US

The 15' yak holds 100# more rated cargo and only wieghs 6# more. It is one full inch narrower and if this effects the side to side balance I have not noticed it yet. Perhaps with my gear on it in pitching seas I am going to feel it. So far I have only screwed around in the Indian River Lagoon Estuary.

15'7" is LONG. I have a Dodge Dakota SLT which is 17' long so the yak fits but it is still long. If the wind hits the front of the yak while you are going from hip to back you might have to juggle a little to keep from twisting. Twisting your back with 60# overhead is not a good idea for a 39 YRO who abused his body in his teen to twenties.

I bench 250# (not a gym rat) however after paddling from 10AMto 4PM I had went to pop the yak up on my back and missed the first attempt. I expected strength which I left in the river as paddle strokes.

I think the Ocean Kayaks have a faster hull than some of the other yaks. The newer yaks are built for stabilty and payload without an performance because Big Joe ain't paddling that far if AT ALL (electric motor). Ocean yak has a hull which has a rounded bottom with the secondary lip for flotation when listed. I am certain the OK is faster and more nimble than many of the other popular yaks but can not support this opinion with facts other than the rentals I have been on.

If you go to buy a used yak. Make a trip during the day to see it and here is a trick I did not think of drive a little car, leave a deposit or verbal promise of intent. Return after dark with a good flashlight. The flashlight will show any imperfections in the hull.

Okay, I have the Cobra Fish/Dive. Things I like are: 1) it's very stable. 2) it can carry up to 600lbs. 3) it has plenty of inside storage. Things I don't like are: 1) it's heavy & bulky out of the water. (57 lbs) 2) It isn't the fastest boat on the pond.

I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Edition.

It totally ROCKS for diving. It is a little wide and heavy for general yak touring.

I am still pleased with my choice, though. I bought it for diving and it performs well.

It is a heavy MoFo for this 5'3" diver to put on the car, so I bought a Thule Hullavator system. Very expensive. Worth every cent. I would not use my yak if I didn't have the Hullavator.

The OK Prowler 13...comfortable to paddle, really hard to tip over (only done it once, boy was I stooopid), my gear fits in it well, I'm happy with it. p.s. make sure EVERYTHING is tied down at all times. I lost a few cheapie things the time I stoopidly flipped it. It could have been a REALLY expensive mistake if I didn't have everything tied down well.

I have a Ocean Kayak Scrambler xt. Very stable, about 14', cargo hatches. 1 tank and gear fit perfect, additional knee straps really help in rough surf. Cons...a little short, no rudder and it doesn't track all that strait in a cross wind. Nice boat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom