Little Cayman Photo Gallery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems Reef Divers limit there dives to be rather shallow and limited? At an additional $12/Tank for Nitrox, I guess it isn't worth it even doing three dives a day?
How did they "limit there (their) dives" ? Was there a depth restriction imposed?

Not sure what you mean. They limit based on time more or less to 50, 60, 60 minutes. If someone was a little longer, did not seem to be a problem. If you want a little longer dive all you need to do is ask and usually you can be first off the boat. Most people stayed within suggested times and didn't seem to mind if a few people slipped off the back before them. The only real time constraint is that the boat needs to be back at the dock for lunch at 12.30
Re depths.
The suggestion was 100, 60, 60 but if someone was deeper , especially on nitrox, ( 2nd or 3rd dive ) no issue as long as no decompression limits not exceeded. IMO, nitrox allowed for deeper 2nd and third dives than air would have. I think the charge has gone up to $15 a tank. If someone did go into deco, they were out of the water for 24 hrs.
You can dive guided or on your own. As long as no current, buddy groups are free to head in the opposite direction from the group. The DMs are very laid back as long as you don't act like a total turkey diver and you stay in pairs. There was one DM in the past who was a Dive Nazi, but she is long gone.

I never feel that my dive freedom is being encroached on with Reef Divers on LC or Brac.

no personal experience with Reef Divers on GC.

Not sure what you mean. They limit based on time more or less to 50, 60, 60 minutes. If someone was a little longer, did not seem to be a problem. If you want a little longer dive all you need to do is ask and usually you can be first off the boat. Most people stayed within suggested times and didn't seem to mind if a few people slipped off the back before them. The only real time constraint is that the boat needs to be back at the dock for lunch at 12.30
Re depths.
The suggestion was 100, 60, 60 but if someone was deeper , especially on nitrox, ( 2nd or 3rd dive ) no issue as long as no decompression limits not exceeded. IMO, nitrox allowed for deeper 2nd and third dives than air would have. I think the charge has gone up to $15 a tank. If someone did go into deco, they were out of the water for 24 hrs.
You can dive guided or on your own. As long as no current, buddy groups are free to head in the opposite direction from the group. The DMs are very laid back as long as you don't act like a total turkey diver and you stay in pairs. There was one DM in the past who was a Dive Nazi, but she is long gone.

I never feel that my dive freedom is being encroached on with Reef Divers on LC or Brac.

no personal experience with Reef Divers on GC.

My comment was directed at flyboy08...trying to decipher his point,"dives to be rather shallow and limited"...

...At an additional $12/Tank for Nitrox, I guess it isn't worth it even doing three dives a day?

This won't help you for the August trip but the Tibbetts Resorts (LCBR, CBBR, and GCCCR) and Reef Divers are offering some very nice specials from mid November to mid January with free Nitrox, see the link below; so keep that in mind if you decide to go back!

Free Diving, Nitrox, and Nitrox Certification*

And we did just book a week at LCBR for August 26th- Hoping for similar viz :) With the diving included here, the price was comparable to our recent visit to Occidental on COZ! But drinks are not included....that not good :)

Some of the resort packages include 3 drinks per night (alcoholic or non). You can probably find out how much it costs to add that option on to your current package, if you are interested.

I have never tried the drink package, I think that it is limited regarding the brands included, but I am not sure - maybe someone that has used the LCBR drink package can provide more information.

We usually pick up a bottle of alcohol at the duty free shop in our local airport before we leave the country and bring it with us. Cayman Customs Regulations state that "each visitor 18 years and older can bring in duty-free either one litre of alcohol, four litres of wine or one case of beer (not exceeding eight litres)."

I like Rum and Coke so it is easy to pick up a bottle of duty-free rum at the airport, buy cans of soda at the resort or at the village store, and ice is freely available to guests at the resort. I certainly enjoy the ambience of the beach bar and we sometimes have a drink there, but the ability to mix your own really helps to hold down the bar bill.

One word of caution, when you arrive on Grand Cayman you will have to go through immigration, collect your bags, go through customs, recheck your bags for Little Cayman, and then go through security to catch your plane to LC.

They will NOT let you take your bottle of liquor through Security, even though it is sealed and labeled "Duty Free" because it is larger than 3 ounces of liquid. They will confiscate your bottle. So after you get through Customs, wrap the bottle well and put it inside your checked luggage before re-checking it for the short flight to LC and going through security.

You can also buy a bottle of alcohol after you get to the island but it will be more expensive than in the US. I'm pretty sure you can buy alcohol at the Village Square Store in Blossom Village, an easy walk or bike ride from the LCBR. I know that the stores on Cayman Brac are closed on Sunday but I think the Village Square Store on LC is open on Sunday - but I am not positive about that.

Have a great a trip!

Last edited:
Thanks all...I thought I read all dives were limited to 50 minutes? My bad.

They do give a profile during the pre dive brief that is usually 110'/50min, 60'/60min and 60'/60min. As was said above, they are very relaxed about "enforcement" of those profiles as long as you aren't a jackass about it. The real motivation for them is to get the boat back to the dock on schedule for lunch. So if they say they want to leave the dock at 8:15am, and everybody is on the boat ready to go at 8:10, they have more flexibility to allow longer dives than they will if people are still trickling onto the boat at 8:25. Also, if you want a longer profile, be the first one in and the last one out...but again, don't be the last one out by ten minutes beyond anybody else. I have over 100 dives at LCBR, with probably 70% of them 5-10 minutes beyond the "suggested profile" in duration, and I have never once had a DM say a word to me about it. If you stay out of deco, get back on the boat roughly at similar time as the rest of the divers, and don't make them late to the dock for lunch, you will have no problems from the DMs. If you show up late in the morning, go 5-10 mins past the time the other divers are on the boat and they see depths well beyond the profile on your computer, they are likely to put a slightly tighter leash on you.

Back
Top Bottom