Live in Boston and just got OW certified in Mexico!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shulman77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone. Nice to be here!
I just completed my open water course in February and now diving is the only thing I think about.

If anyone has any advice for how a Boston diver who doesn't really know any other divers can get back out there asap without spending a lot of money, I'd be super grateful!

Welcome to Scubaboard!

There are plenty of dive opportunities up here including both shore diving and boat diving.

If you need to rent gear, there are a few shops in the Boston area that have rental equipment available. Two that I recommend are Boston SCUBA (full disclosure, I'm a part time captain on their boat) and East Coast Divers. East Coast Divers is located in Brookline and Boston Scuba is located in the East Boston Shipyard and Marina. Boston Scuba has the benefit of having an onsite dive boat that runs Thursday through Sunday during the summer and Saturday and Sunday year round. They don't do much shore diving, so if you're looking to shore dive, I'd recommend posting here for a buddy or on Facebook (New England Scuba Divers group). If you're looking for a guided shore dive, East Coast Divers has an active schedule of shore dives during the year.

For shore diving, I'd recommend picking up A Shore Diving Guide to New England by Jerry Shine. This is an awesome reference to most shore sites in the area and is available at most dive shops.

Like I mentioned before, I recommend joining the New England Scuba Divers group on facebook as that is a great resource for meeting a buddy and getting introduced to the local area.

If you want to go on charters outside of Boston, there really aren't any that aren't top notch. Aside from Boston Scuba, Cape Ann Charters (the Daybreaker) and the Gauntlet (more tech and advanced orientated) are my two go to charters. Cape Ann Divers also runs a great operation and I'm usually out with them a few times a year as well.

Feel free to ask around if you have any questions or shoot me a PM

Hi,

Lewis is correct with all his info, I would add look at some of the local dive clubs also. Metro West Dive Club, the Froggies, etc.. typically they have groups that dive weekly and you could make some diving friends that way. Additionally you can pick up local diving tips in regards to thermal protection, site entrances, hunting, etc...

goood luck
Matt

There are a lot of shore dives in the Cape Ann area as well. There's a map of them somewhere--some are close to parking, others a long walk. Maybe you could meet up with a buddy up there? There is also a so-so shallow shore dive somewhere just over the bridge on the Cape (Cod)--near Sandwich, I think--a county or state park, $10 fee a couple of years ago.

Hi, another +1 for East Coast Divers, we just got our Nitrox there last Thursday. +1 for Cape Ann Divers as well since it was with these two org. that I took my avatar photo of the baby seal.
ECDivers is having a travel presentation 3/15 evening, if you are interested in trips.

I am a new diver and have been going to Cozumel quite a bit in the last year and a half. First thing I do is find a cheep flight, I go to Matrix ITA and search for flights. I use the option to search a range of dates. Every other trip has been to fly to Cancun instead of Cozumel, usually much cheaper and the "bag drag" isn't too bad. There are decent hotels in town in the $50 range, breakfast included. I can eat cheaper there than I can at home, really the only big expense is the diving. In just over a couple weeks it will be my 8th trip there since July of 2015. it's addictive. Another bonus is that it is warm water. Don't worry about going alone if you have to. I always meet people and have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom