Liveaboard From Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be in Singapore for work for a couple of weeks in February. I'd like to do some diving while there and have looked at the weekend liveaboards. I was wondering if the weekend trips are worth it (i.e. you are going somewhere good - I know the local SIN diving isn't that great) and if there was a boat people recommend. I care more about a comfortable and safe facility than a cheap price.

Thanks,

bg

Alactually, most Singaporean dives in Malaysia. And our Malaysian ocean are affected by the monsoon season until March.

There is one LOB that goes to the West Coast which isn't affect by monsoon. But it's not great diving and visibility isn't great either.

You can check out Blue Kingfisher MV managed by Seamonkey.

Thanks for the reply.

The boat I was looking at - The Nautica - looks like it goes to Indonesia (Riau Islands). Would those also be affected monsoon at that time?

---------- Post added January 5th, 2016 at 06:09 PM ----------

Also, one other question - how are these boats for solo travellers. Will there likely be a buddy I can be paired up with? I've only done on liveaboard before.

Thanks for the reply.

The boat I was looking at - The Nautica - looks like it goes to Indonesia (Riau Islands). Would those also be affected monsoon at that time?

---------- Post added January 5th, 2016 at 06:09 PM ----------

Also, one other question - how are these boats for solo travellers. Will there likely be a buddy I can be paired up with? I've only done on liveaboard before.
Geographically, they could be affected. Because monsoon affects places within South China Sea. I could be wrong though.

U might be assigned with an instant buddy if available. Else, you can just stick to the DM.

Shouldn't be a big problem most of the time.

But just double check with them to reconfirm.

Insta buddy is not a issue. Else.. The dm will partner you.

But not much lob during Feb that start from Singapore. Dive season usually start in mid March in sg. All the boats are mostly in Similan.

The visa is not great. But that is the least of your problem. It's the rocky boat that is more of an issue.

We do have the smallest marine Park in the whole that just open. It's call the sister island. Good Marco stuff. But really have to look slowly in less the 1m of vis.

Here are list of the local lob that you can check out. Their schedule should be published. Probably search with Singapore in the search as well.

white manta /black manta /blue manta
Nautica
Gs diving / sea Bourne
Andaman tritan

Thanks for the feedback - the idea of rocky boat is definitely not appealing!

Is there anywhere that is worth going to for a long weekend? The appeal of a liveaboard is that you don't lose time flying and you get more bulk in but if it is worth flying to somewhere in Indonesia or Malayesia I'd definitely consider it...I figure diving in this part of the world is a (possibly) one time opportunity

I will repost this question as a separate thread so others may chime in...

bg

Thanks for the feedback - the idea of rocky boat is definitely not appealing!

Is there anywhere that is worth going to for a long weekend? The appeal of a liveaboard is that you don't lose time flying and you get more bulk in but if it is worth flying to somewhere in Indonesia or Malayesia I'd definitely consider it...I figure diving in this part of the world is a (possibly) one time opportunity

I will repost this question as a separate thread so others may chime in...

bg
U can fly to Labuan, Sabah. From there, u can travel to Mabul and dive at Sipadan. One of the best diving around SEA.

If you don't want to fly, plenty of dive shops offer weekend trips to Pulau Batam (Indonesia) between Nov - March. Meet at the ferry terminal at 6/7pm on Friday. One hour ferry ride to Pulau Batam and dive on Sat and Sun morning. Depart for Singapore late Sunday afternoon and usually get in around 6/7pm.

CC - Do you have any shops that you recommend? How are the conditions for that? Both the diving and the boat ride? I'd love to dive but if it's going to be a rocky ferry ride to dive with 1m of vis i would likely pass. But if it's an easy to get to for a nice weekend I will definitely look into that too.

Thanks,

bg

Back
Top Bottom