Location of Oasis under Table Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the map info. I wasted several hours trying to find ANYTHING about Oasis on the web. I guess MO doesnt like putting info on the web. The COE and local historical societies were to be my next step. IT's tough doing research from afar.

FD

I've been diving TR for the last 15 years. I've never talked with anyone who has dived Oasis. That being said, I'm sure there is someone around who has. For anyone doing serious research, the lake filled in 1959-1960, so keep in mind when using the 1944 topo map. I would also contact some of the local marinas with dive shops to see if any of them can point you in the right direction. Slim @ State Park Marina comes to mind. Too deep and too cold for my preferences, but if anyone is going on the Oasis hunt, let me know and I'll offer surface support.

Hey Matthew,

I think we should plan on doing this dive.....let's do some research, get several of us together to make the dive, as well as some surface support. Maybe we should plan it sometime in the early Fall. By that time (hopefully) the boat traffic will be less and Vis will be best (maybe).

Whatcha think? Anyone?

I think it would be a good dive to do with planning. I've seen a topo of the area and know where to dive now, well I don't know where the church is yet...

My thoughts are to dive when the vis is best. To do that we need to locals to chime in and say when it's best. I'm 5 hours away and don't know when it turns and such so I'm little help there.

As far as boat traffic I'd say that's a non issue. We'll have a boat of our own there and flying a dive flag and use a descent line. All we have to do is stick together and come up the line when done and there will be no danger, unless our Captain is dangerous...

If I can get rid of my cold by this weekend I'm thinking of diving TR this weekend near the dam. I have a map of some things there I didn't know about, but right now I'm stuffed up and can't breathe. I hope to clear it up soon. While there I plan to buy a topo from the COE to have one in person. They sometimes show important buildings and maybe it will show the church, or I can find somebody who remembers where it used to be.

HOLY COW, I just looked up Oasis Bluff in Google Earth and noticed that only a few mile's away is Bass Pro Shop's Big Cedar Lodge... I've been there several times for vacations!!!!

Little did I know that only a few miles away was the midwestern version of "Atlantis". Someone please try to bring back PHOTO's!

Firecracker:
you are going to DUI Dog Rally at Beaver, right? we can talk about it more then, if you do.

I am off that weekend and intend to drive down there and participate. You'll find me easy to find, I'll probably be the only guy with Viking drysuit gear.:14:

I might be down there to do our AOW dives on Sunday. Hope to see you guys there, I will be the one drooling over the dry suits :D

rottielover:
HOLY COW, I just looked up Oasis Bluff in Google Earth and noticed that only a few mile's away is Bass Pro Shop's Big Cedar Lodge... I've been there several times for vacations!!!!

Little did I know that only a few miles away was the midwestern version of "Atlantis". Someone please try to bring back PHOTO's!

uhh okey let me try this again i had a thing typed and cause of the weather here I am currently in st louis i lost it all. errr.. so i will try again..
yes it is real close to big cedar. but not miles. big cedar is in the cove next to it. basically oasis bluff is right in front of point 3 if this helps anyone.. right off of point 3 is a 12 stall boat dock.. oasis bluff sits just south of it. if i have gathered everything correctly the town of oasis sit just south of oasis bluff... in between hwy 86 bridge and oasis bluff itself.. (to let some of you know there is a smaller island between those two, in the midst of the summer it isnt that big but right now it is pretty big due to the lake being low) i am thinking it is directly in the middle of the opening for big cedar lodge cove, in the summer time it would be a very hard area to dive i imagine cause it is a busy area, and the people that rent boats from big cedar have no care of concern for flags,bouyes, divers, swimmers etc. very dangerous i think..I hate to even swim off of point 3 there next to my boat dock but i do.. they always seem to run over our bouye.. plus people use oasis bluff as campsites, alot of people dock and stay on that island in the summer.. i am not sure how much diving you would get done then... autum is probably the best time to dive that area.... but you all are the experts... i have never dove i just know how busy it is in this area.. I will search thru my pictures i have tons of pictures of this area... and give you a visual of what i am discribing.....
hopefully this helps some of you.. i know in the coming weeks that lake if the weather gets better its going to get much busier.... i will keep you posted on what i know and post a pic of the area..
Tanya:D

Back
Top Bottom