long hose configuration...good idea???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure you get someone to show you how to use it.

Depending on agency and training or even preference, it could be either worn hog style (wrapped around you) used as a primary or wrapped along your back plate and used as a secondary

most importantly, make sure you get someone to show you and do a couple of drills

If you haven't used the setup, it may not be easy to see that the hose simply slips over your head if you duck it -- it won't remove your mask unless you have a snorkel attached to it.

BSAC did a whole bunch of experiments, trying to prove that the long hose was dangerous, and the only setting in which they could get it cause problems was if the OOA diver approached from behind and to the left, and grabbed the reg from BEHIND and pulled it to the left. I think that's sufficiently unlikely that I don't worry about it.

It wasn't the BSAC, it was the UK Health & Safety Executive (HSE) that concluded that in an emergancy situation divers revert to their initial training actions - even years later. Unfortunatly, I can't give you the ULR as its a document the HSE produced in hard copy only.

Kind regards

Edward,
Mike Rowley sent an email to various people a snippet of which is below:-

"BSAC has conducted field trials and as a result have arrived at the conclusion that “Hogarthian rigging”
and “Primary Take” are incompatible with techniques taught within BSAC training programmes, do not
work efficiently without significant donor input in some circumstances and are incompatible with some
equipment types. "

If HSE were involved in those trials the original email does not suggest it and that is the source of what most people believe to be BSAC's stance on the issue, myself included.

Edward,
Mike Rowley sent an email to various people a snippet of which is below:-

"BSAC has conducted field trials and as a result have arrived at the conclusion that “Hogarthian rigging”
and “Primary Take” are incompatible with techniques taught within BSAC training programmes, do not
work efficiently without significant donor input in some circumstances and are incompatible with some
equipment types. "

If HSE were involved in those trials the original email does not suggest it and that is the source of what most people believe to be BSAC's stance on the issue, myself included.

The HSE did their trials some time earlier. For clarity BSAC hasn't banned the configuration, it just can't by used during any BSAC run training - either by the student or instructor. See here for the official position.

King regards

...See here for the official position.

King regards

Edward: Thanks for the link to BSAC policy statement on Alternate Supply (AS).

Interesting to note that the most common failure mode of a regulator was free-flow while filling a DSMB or lifting bag (i.e. 31 % of the total recorded incidents involving AS).

Being a recent recruit to the art of bubble-making, I'd have thought that regs these days can be relied upon for a routine (apparently benign) task of shooting up a DSMB.

Considering that this is a relatively recent report (only a couple of years old), isn't it rather a worrisome statement on the reliability of modern day regulators? Gives me a pause.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom