Long hose for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter,

The only trouble I've had is sometimes when the students are doing the reg recovery the reg drops back behind them making it harder to recover. It seems to do this more with a 40" hose then with a standard (23"?) hose, I'm not sure why unless it's because the hose is 'less stiff' being longer. Have you seen this at all in your teaching with students using the 40" hose?

Bruce

My reg generally drops behind me when I let it go if I don't clip it off and seems to be a little harder to retrieve than with a reg that goes over my shoulder. I use a 40" hose that goes under my arm. for my reg recovery's I always had to throw it back behind then recover it anyways so its not a big deal for me to find it back there.

LEARN TO DIVE FIRST
Than you can worry about long hoses....
That's what I decided - but thanks for the emphatic confirmation that I made the right choice.

I have a question. I want to go "somewhere in between" the rec and tec diving.

Right now I have fairly basic setup with Atomic Z2x regulator. (40" octo SE which I plan to replace with Z2 octo.)

So my plan is to purchase miflex hoses and Z2 octo and use Z2 (yellow) for primary breathing and donating and Z2 (blue) with bungee setup for secondary.

For now (and foreseeable future) I don't plan to go tec or wreck penetration diving so wrapping it around my neck doesn't sound like the greatest thing. But I like the bungee setup.

What lengths and what routing should I go with?

By asking questions here on the board, technically he is learning! N'est pas?

Asking questions on Scubaboard is to diving what dirty HBO shows are to real sex.

Asking questions on Scubaboard is to diving what dirty HBO shows are to real sex.

Actually I have gotten a great deal of good information from SB (as well as other diving forums). Of course, there is a lot of crap information but if one has common sense, it is easy to learn a lot from SB (and other forums). A lot of the information I have gotten here has later on been backed up by instructors and again by my own experience.

I usually agree with you Slonda :wink: but not this time. I think if you participate in SB it is silly to dismiss it as you have done.

Cave Bum -- when I've demonstrated the reg recovery/sweep when using my 40" hose I've found it much easier -- if for no other reason than I demo it while horizontal. This means, of course, when I "throw" my reg away, it just drops down in front of me. IF I was to demo this on my knees or in some other vertical position, the longer hose might make it more difficult. Yet one more reason to do these things while in a horizontal position.

lol ... scubaboard is no substitute for training and practice (what is?) but i've found a wealth of excellent information on here. I can't even start to count all the things i've learned by asking auestions and trying to answer others.

Back
Top Bottom