Long Hose in public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrobinson:
LOL!! This is an awesome thread... Snowbear's response to all the crap and then, out of the blue, Tom's response... this is why I keep coming back!

Seriously RTodd, I've been one of your victims at a point or two. You, like many people I dive with, have the right attitude under the water - so I would dive with you! (Now who has the ego?) The above surface techniques could, well; maybe GI3 could make a DIR ambassador 1 course for you.

If you can weed out the ego, there is good solid info. If you're a newbie, it's hard to distinguish the right information within attitude. It would be easy to follow the non-DIR/less attitude philosophy. You guys decide, I'm going diving.

I really don't get the constant claims that more experienced DIR dives have big egos. For me, it is impatience. I have explained this stuff for years in different mediums. While I do want to help, it can get frustrating to keep repeating the old stuff. No worries though, I am moving to Cairns so my post ratio will plummet since I will get to dive regularly again.

Impatience, big egos... (tomatoe/tomatoe)

Frustrating? I understand you to an extent because there can three threads going about how to de-fog your mask. To you, some elemental DIR principles could be just as irritating like those threads.

Anyway it doesn't matter because in the end we all need to shove our regs in our mouths and go under.

BTW RTodd, I am happy to hear you're diving regularly again. My dive season is always shorter because of winter and that's frustrating too.

RTodd:
I really don't get the constant claims that more experienced DIR dives have big egos. For me, it is impatience. I have explained this stuff for years in different mediums. While I do want to help, it can get frustrating to keep repeating the old stuff. No worries though, I am moving to Cairns so my post ratio will plummet since I will get to dive regularly again.
While explaining the same thing over and over, albeit over time, can be frustrating, try thinking of it as influencing divers to be safe and ultimately, possibly increase the number of safe divers you'd consider buddying with. We all have to start somewhere and people are more likely to consider what you have to say if it's non-aggressive (not accusing anyone here).

I'm gradually buying into the idea and have gradually converted some of the way I do things. Of course, it seems to be two steps forward, one step back at times when I run into someone with more ego than willingness to share knowledge. I like my dives to be fun as well as educational and belittlement (not accusing anyone here either) just pushes someone away.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom