long hose primary, but how long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2013 at 01:23 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Would a 5-foot hose that's tucked under my arm tend to flop out, especially if I stretch my arm out at some point in a dive? I'd really like to see pics of someone using a 5-foot hose. Seven feet seems like it might be overkill and bothersome for rec diving, but it does seem to have a tried-and-true method for stowing it securely.

http://0.tqn.com/d/scuba/1/0/d/H/-/-/LongHose.jpg

In the pic he has it clipped off to the right chest d-ring since it's not in use.

I use a 5' hose.

Whether or not a 5' will feel just right, or a tad short, will depend on:

1.) Your physical build (not so much how tall you are, but how thick your chest is) and
2.) How you position your single tank (high, low, how far it sits from your back)
3.) How well your first stage routes the hose.

For most folks 5' is just enough, but really depends on 1 - 3 above. I'm a big guy (6'4", big chest) and I can use a 5' hose fine, but wish it was 6" longer. I feel a slight "pull" when I rotate my head to the left... not terrible, but its there. A 6' hose would be perfect, but 5' is good-enough that I have not bothered (yet) to swap it out for a 6' hose.

Best wishes.

If you do not need to use the right chest D- ring then go 5 ft otherwise 7 as routing of the 5 ft interferes with that o-ring.
I use 5ft on my vacation set and Im 6ft/190lb

bbar wrote
I am a recreational and switched to a 5 foot house....

Forget about hoses, I just want to know who does what in a "5 foot house?":wink:

Me -- teaching -- 40 inches; everything else -- 7 foot --- I have several 5 foot hoses and they work just fine for this old, short, fat guy!

It's not clear to me that everybody here understands that the 5' hose is routed just like the 7' hose, except that it doesn't require to be caught by something on the right-hand waistband. So the hose passed under the right armpit, across the front of the body, over the left shoulder, behind the neck, and around the right side of the face.

What determines whether it works is really the breadth and depth of your torso. If you are barrel-chested or very broad in the shoulders, a 5' hose may tend to pull a little in your mouth. If you are tall and narrow, it can work just fine.

A standard octo-length hose, routed under the right armpit, and using a 90 degree adapter, can also work just fine.

Seems pedantic for people to argue over the words routes under, passes under, tucks under, routes the same...

I believe in the buy it once theory and 7' fits all potential uses for me.

Seems pedantic for people to argue over the words routes under, passes under, tucks under, routes the same...

I believe in the buy it once theory and 7' fits all potential uses for me.

How stoogacious of you.

I'm only 5'7“ and a 7' hose has proved to be no problem for me. Once in the water it just does not get in the way at all. I never was comfortable with the routing of my hoses when they were standard "recreational" lengths but hog looping a 7' hose with bungee backup just works for me.
The trick to coping with a 7' hose was learning the right sequence to gear up/strip off the gear without looking like a noob in the boat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

When I first switched to a long hose I used a 5' one. Never really got on with it,much prefer the way 7' routes/feels.

It's a personal choice. Can you try both and see which you prefer?

Back
Top Bottom